Tfisher

Random

Rate this topic

155,799 posts in this topic

28 mins ago, quiknet said:

Thanks for thinking of me buddy. 

Surprised and a little disappointed that none of you humps called dibs when I said I had the covida loca... 

A friend of mine and his wife routinely pick up coolers that are put out as trash.   Most just need a good cleaning. 

Problem is, they're hoarders,  so they have about 20 coolers.

Problem with many coolers is they crack and allow water into the foam. Then the damn things weigh a ton. I need a new pair on the boat.

2 hours ago, PeterO said:

For $249 Dick’s will send you one with free shipping :shrug:

No, they won't.  They will send you a Calcutta B.  It ain't remotely the reel that the TE is.  

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Slacker said:

No, they won't.  They will send you a Calcutta B.  It ain't remotely the reel that the TE is.  

But the reel that they will send you for $250 has not been discontinued (yet), so there is that.

Shimano has a nasty business model of not supporting discontinued models.  Won't service them and will tell you that this part or that part is "obsolete" and unavailable.  Gold Trinidads... silver Toriums... white Stradics... nope, not supported. 

The reels (one old B and two TEs) I'm sending Kml aren't supported, either.  But at $50 pop, they are fungible. 

Penn is still servicing Squidders, LOL.  They too have some models they won't support... but they will offer you a discount on something else if you mail them an unsupported Penn reel.  I have had mixed experience with Penn product but their customer service has always been heads and shoulders above everybody else.

Edited by Slacker

Posted (edited)

The TE's were about $350-400 reels back in the day.  The only reason I have any is that my old man had thousands in points on his Cabelas card (the dude would book 10 weeks in Hawaii all on the card), so he would cash them in and toss me a reel occasionally.  The NIB one was an Xmas gift that sat on a shelf waiting for one of the other reels to die... they never did.

Edited by Slacker

I lost the cable in the first inning tonight.  That sucked.  We had internet, just no TV.

1 hour ago, Slacker said:

I lost the cable in the first inning tonight.  That sucked.  We had internet, just no TV.

Bumeff - living almost on the grid.

10 hours ago, MakoMike said:

Problem with many coolers is they crack and allow water into the foam. Then the damn things weigh a ton. I need a new pair on the boat.

Most coolers suck .  Can't stand up to the rigors of life on deck,  hardware that isn't strong enough to handle the load of said cooler when fully loaded, crap hinges on the lids and the cracking/ insulation problem you mention.  That led to the genesis of the "high end " coolers such as yeti,  tundra,  etc.  I would get a higher quality cooler but I worry that it would be stolen off my deck one night. 

8 hours ago, Slacker said:

But the reel that they will send you for $250 has not been discontinued (yet), so there is that.

Shimano has a nasty business model of not supporting discontinued models.  Won't service them and will tell you that this part or that part is "obsolete" and unavailable.  Gold Trinidads... silver Toriums... white Stradics... nope, not supported. 

The reels (one old B and two TEs) I'm sending Kml aren't supported, either.  But at $50 pop, they are fungible. 

Penn is still servicing Squidders, LOL.  They too have some models they won't support... but they will offer you a discount on something else if you mail them an unsupported Penn reel.  I have had mixed experience with Penn product but their customer service has always been heads and shoulders above everybody else.

Yeah that discontinued/ we don't support nonsense sucks.   I'm ready to kick shimano to the curb.   I seem to have better luck with daiwa. 

And accurate pissed me off too.  Sent in a bv-300 in the spring of 2022. Full service,  they replaced a few bearings.   Go to use it for spring tog about a year later and the handle is bound up.   I call them and some service dude says it's probably some bearing.   I told him I had the reel serviced by them a little over a year ago and he said anything over a year is out of warranty.  In that time period I  probably used the reel less than a dozen times. 

Sent it back in over a month ago.   Heard they're back logged fixing all their junk.

19 hours ago, Slacker said:

Politicians are rarely hot.  And this one was no exception to the rule.

I hate human interaction.

This is why we are such good friends. 

17 hours ago, quiknet said:

I get sick time, but we made a deal with the company during the height of the pandemic which allows us to get time missed due to covid off with pay with no deductions from our sick time bank.

See, I would get " complications", oh let's say for 6 months, maybe 9, and would have almost a year off with full pay. One of the many skills learned from a government job. 

16 hours ago, Kml said:

A functional Calcutta in the garbage seems wasteful to me. 

It is a fine reel for many things. 

Correct. A Calcutta should be thrown in the river or lake so as not to take up valued landfill space. 

13 hours ago, quiknet said:

Thanks for thinking of me buddy. 

Surprised and a little disappointed that none of you humps called dibs when I said I had the covida loca... 

A friend of mine and his wife routinely pick up coolers that are put out as trash.   Most just need a good cleaning. 

Problem is, they're hoarders,  so they have about 20 coolers.

No one called dibs because you don't have anything we want. Doosh. 

24 mins ago, mickrazz said:

She's out of control. 

20220807_121855.jpg

20220807_121919.jpg

20220807_121923.jpg

You live in a fanciful concrete kingdom.  The Chronicles of Portland Cementia.

30 mins ago, mickrazz said:

She's out of control. 

20220807_121855.jpg

20220807_121919.jpg

20220807_121923.jpg

We have the same hose.  Quality, baby.  It's what we are about.

Two hours in the bay and I got skunked . If the kid that Hank helped caught a fluke on a bobber I may have to quit fluking. 

Gas prices are so high no one called dibs on quiks boat. I’ll call dibs on its trolling motor. 

7 mins ago, Slacker said:

We have the same hose.  Quality, baby.  It's what we are about.

Zero G is great. I've got a 50' 3/4" and a 25'.

BTW, Nice broom work on that concrete. Tony is so embarrassed about his concrete work he had to sell that house and move!