Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gilbey

First Diamond Wrap

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Fishing plans for last night got scrapped since my wife had to go out of town for the weekend leaving me on rugrat dutywink.gif. So, while I am waiting for my new blank to arrive I am playing around with wrap colors and stuff. Last night I tried my first real diamond wrap. Sure took me a long time. Here it is;

butt.JPG

I got some help from Tom Kirman's book "Rod Making Guide", and I think it came out pretty well. I did it on an old blank I had laying around just to practice and check out the colors.

My question is, does anyone have any tips for keeping the diamonds lined up? I used a piece of thread marked with a pencil, but I guess it shifted during wrapping because the diamonds are not perfectly alligned. What's the trick?

The trick is to get the very first crossed threads on their dead straight. Its tough to straighten it out with a lot of thread on there so lay the first thread down the use a straight edge or better , a butt wrap alignment tool and get the first wrap perfectly straight. Build off that. You can also throw it out of wack if you pack all the bottoms then all the tops. Do a bottom thread then a top then a bottom then a top , etc when packing. thatw ay you woon't push it in one direction or the other and out of wack.

butt wrap alignment tool is a good thing to have.

butt wrap alignment tool is a good thing to have.

I had no idea there was such a thingicon15.gificon15.gif.

Sheesh you rod builder guys have more gadgets that us fly tying guystongue.gifwink.gif!

Oh yeah, and the author of that book is Tom Kirkman, not "Kirman". Apologies Mr. Kirkman.

Thanks Saltheartsmile.gif!

[This message has been edited by Gilbey (edited 04-26-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Gilbey (edited 04-26-2003).]