Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DamonM

GSB 120 1L

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Damon,

Before you do any cutting of this blank, please tell me the application and lure weight range you intend for the rod. I checked the Lami catalog and I question the accuracy of the posted specs for this blank.

Al

I intend to use the rod as a 9 or 9'6" spinning rod for eels primarily, however I dont want a meat stick like the 1088 sabre which in my opinion is limited to eels. I already cut the blank down to 9'6" and it will still load throwing a bomber, however I'm afraid to take it down any more. I havent touched the tip, its perfect.

I can't give you any personal feedback, as my 120 1L is built at full length. It's also from the late 1980s and has a different feel to it than Tim's new 120 1L. However, another rod builder on LI has been building what he calls the "Montauk Eel Special" out of the 1L chopped a foot from the butt. What you wind up with, I think, is something very similar in action to Jeff's Fisher 8708.

Just last week I finished wrapping that blank, modified as you mention, except mine is conventional. I'm giving the finish some time to set up until I actually use it. If you want to wait a few days until I can field test it, I'll let you know what I think about it's lure weight range. It sure has a nice wiggle biggrin.gif

My blank had a #10 tip from the factory. I cut the tip to an 11 (about 1 1/2") and took the remainder from the butt for a 9' total.

Thanks to all for the feedback. Ditch Jigger, Jeff and I agreed that the 120 1L modified as you said would be about the best fisher clone available. Rockhead, I would be interested to hear how yours works out because I'll probably build one as a conventional in the future. It just seems to me that at 9ft it makes a better conventional than spinning. Thanks again

Funny thing, I wrapped one a few weeks ago but went the other way - I made it 10'6" for hurling darters into orbit. That's one amazing blank! I also fish one at 10' in conventional and it's a joy and a pleasure.

I'm thinking of doing another spinning rod in the same manner of what you've done Damon, 9'6"...but I plan on splitting it up, 3" from each end.

Now if the GSB120 1L could only cook wink.gif

TimS

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this blank 10' uncut? Also, I believe the rating is something like 2-6 oz. Didn't you say in another post that this blank will throw small plugs?

Jim,

how ya doin? I was throwin bombers with my factory gsb1201L (xs101ms) the other nite and it tossed them as well as anything i have ever thrown them with, and then the next lure in my changeup was a 2 1/2oz needle and it chucked that fine no problem.

I'm doing good, Brian. I'm looking at 10 footers right now, and I can't decide between glass or graphite. Graphite and braid on shallow beaches has been a nightmare for me, so I'm thinking maybe S-Glass. I know that my XS-11MS will throw a bomber, but that's about the lightest lure that it will chuck. Tim mentioned that he throws small plugs and uses braids with this particular blank, so I'm intrigued. Why would this graphite blank be more forgiving than others of similar ratings?

Jim B, yes, the 120 1L is a great bomber rod...and it throws 5" Mambo minnows perty far as well smile.gif And when ya wanna get dirty, 6oz and a bunker chunk won't over load the rod either. I'm finding it an ideal taper for throwing bombers and rigged eels...I'm hopeful that I finally found one stick that will handle both bombers and rigged eels at 10ft. The SMB108 3M does both very well at 9ft...except it doesn't have that "punch" that graphite does when trying to drive lures into the wind.

The 120 1L is graphite...but it's not a rocket fast taper like many modern graphite rods, it's truly a moderate taper, it bends deep into the middle when yer hooked up. That's the cushion necessary for braids/plugs to cushion a fight smile.gif

TimS

Interesting thread. I have a 120-1L that Al built years ago, and the thought of lobbing 6 and bait, as TimS mentioned, makes me cringe.

I like it better at the mid-to-low end of the payload weight spectrum; two ounces is fine (and probably the sweet spot) but the rod is better than it should be with 7/8 oz or even less (take a bow, Al). In a pinch I can get out with a 5/8 oz Bomber, which is remarkably versatile.

View Postim getting this rod, the 120 1L wrapped now... hows it for slinging eels ?

As good as it was back in 2001 when this thread originally appeared wink.gif