Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Alpo

Halibut rod

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Hi all, I need some advise on a blank for a stand-up Halibut rod for fishing in Alaska. I am leaning toward a Seeker or Calstar blank about 6-6.5 feet. If anyone has any experience with this type of rod.I'am all ears! Remember the fish up there get biggggggg 50lbs is common 100lbs possible and if your lucky 200-300lbs and more!Thanks for the help HappyWave.gif

I've never done this type of fishing, but I certainly will. From what I've read, the stand up Tuna rods make good butt rods. I would look at a Calstar 700H and cut it down, but my opinion is worth squat since I've never done this type of fishing.

How deep? From what little I have seen or done, halibut fishing is pretty basic. Lower bait 200-300-400' feet to bottom and reel up a little. If fish are there, they will jump on. Maybe you need 16oz, maybe 32oz of weight. Any 30-80# standup tuna rod is fine. You don't need rollers.

If you are going to jig, you can go lighter and longer, anything capable of working a 7oz Kroc to a 16oz jig head with a big rubber tail and a 1/2lb fillet of salmon is in range. A typical Montauk bluefish jigging outfit would suffice for throwing the 7oz Kroc, and you might pick up some salmon on it too.

I used a Penn 525GS reel loaded with spectra and a 3 piece Loomis rated 10-20#. That was fun. I caught salmon in the morning for bait with the same setup.

If you are spending any time in Anchorage, the big dept or sporting chain stores will have more mass market halibut rods for sale at better prices than you can imagine.

If I had my chance to go again, I'd figure out what rod length is easiest to ship and build it to handle 50# braid and jig all day. Like a short cod stick.

Hi guys,I went to Alaska last Aug. for two weeks and stayed with a friend in Ancorage. We fished out of Valdez,prince william sound(valdez arm)and caught many silvers and a few Halibut. my two bigest were 53.5" & a shade over 54",80lbs+.We fished in 250-300 feet with 14/0 circle hooks,with herring.We didn't jig,but just sat there at anchor,boring but when the tide is right the action starts. The small ones come 1st(20-50lbs)then later the bigger ones,i can go on all day.The silvers hit on anything plugs,spoons,flys & bait we limited out quickly.I think my friend has tackle on the light side for Halibut 20-30lb rods with 50lb dacron & penn 4/0 reels? I am thinking a 50-80lbs blank with roller stripper and tip & sic guides between,a penn 345 GTI with 80-100lb power pro? Billy 40,thats good advise I think a lady got a record Halibut on a Calstar 700L? Triet,it was much like you said,thanks for your input.We are planning another Alaska trip next year in the July-Aug. time frame and I will try the jiging thing!My friend is comming down to deer hunt with me this fall and I want to present him with a custom Halibut rod for taking me on the best fishing trip of my life!!!! July 10th I will have been fishing 60yrs and Alaska is the best! There are a lot of members on this forum, lets hear some more ideas on this topic?? Thanks guys

I think a lady got a record Halibut on a Calstar 700L?

I forget her name, Rodprof knows her though. She is part of the LAdy Reelers, a LI based Woman's fishing club. I beleive the fish was 325#, and she was using a 700M with a Penn 330GTI.

I could be 1000% wrong about this though. THe woman I am talking about may not own the record, but I am pretty sure that is the tackle she used.

If you are going the custom route, which it sounds like you are, IMO - I would skip the stripper roller, and spiral wrap teh rod. THis is definately an application which SCREAMS for a spiral wrapped rod.

http://www.izorline.com/halibut.html

Accurate.jpg

I tend to confuse this with a 320# caught on 16# test by Fariba Von Leer on virtually the same setup. Maybe Billy40's thinking of yet a 3rd fish. On the other hand, that woman looks a lot like one sitting a table away at the NE Bash a few months ago....

[ 07-03-2004, 07:52 PM: Message edited by: Triet ]

I have a 6' Calstar 760L. Totally different animal than the 700L. Can pull very hard on 50# line, very light blank, can probably handle the heavy sinkers, I've used it on Tuna and Yellowtail. A great blank. Dunno, maybe Mark Flynn in Wantaugh might stock them for tuna, doesn't hurt to ask.

Valdez doesn't see that many big fish, one notable boat, the Orion, makes the long run regularly, anything within 50 miles is hammered by the 100+ charterboat fleet. There are no partyboats there, just charterboats up maybe 50', and you won't be that crowded, so a short rod should work. The residents prefer the smaller fish for eating.

I am definately confused. IT's hard to remember the details when you see a pictre of a 7' fish next to a 110# woman 4 years later. Al knows the exact details on the woman I'm referring to's fish. I apologize for being wrong.

Hi guys, Billy40 the ladies name is Kathy Rounds & she holds the IGFA 20lb test line record, 285lbs Halibut on a calstar 700L. clapping.gif I have been told in other forums to spiral wrap the blank(I am considering a GF765M) I get mixed signals it depends on the blank!Triet Iam told by people in the know that the best Halibut are taken in Dutch harbor,Kodiak Island,Homer & the Cook inlet. Valdez arm does not yeld trophy fish.When i was there I saw a 180lb Halibut on the Valdez dock,I'll take that baby any day! that fish came from Montaque Island. Aren't there any rodcrafters-fishermen,fisherladies from Alaska on this forum,lets hear from ya-all HappyWave.gif