Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WorcBoy

Finish cracks

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Al,

I just finished a trolling rod, BT857S blank with HD fuji guides USG and top. I put a thin coat of finish on the underwraps, like you suggest and wrapped over and coated with highbuild flexcoat. rod looked great. I flexed it and I have cracks in the end of the guide feet. Instead of stripping can I lay a layer of A over and flexcoat that? I thought I had good tension on the over wrap, but obviously I did not.

Billy

Billy,

Let the rod rest for a week to let the finish cure. Then carefully scuff the finish with a scuff pad. Then clean off with a lintless rag and iso alcohol.

Overwrap with size A thread. Apply a very thin coat of Flexcoat. Wick off any excess so that the wraps are just tacky.

Let the wraps cure 48 hours and then check the wraps for any bumps or lumps. Slice them off and then apply a second thin coat of finish. Again let the wraps cure for 48 hours. Reinspect again for any imperfections and then apply a third thin coat.

After the finish has dried to the touch, let the rod rest for at least a week before using it. The longer you wait, the less likely you will experience cracking.

Al

Thanks,

I think that was the problem. I took it off the rack in thr basement and flexed it next morning. Should have just left the thing alone......guess I am so bored.

Thanks,

Billy