Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ScottG

Wrap & Underwrap Issues

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

I'd like to ask Al and the board about this one. I applied color preserver to my metalic pearl underwraps, and, as Al predicted, the dark color of the blank comes through a little. Not a problem - in fact, I sort of like the look. But by next question regards the guide wraps. I only purchsed a few other colors: gold, metalic blue, and regular blue. None of them jazz me over the top of the white pearl, but since it took so long for me to hand wrap that pearl, I don't relish the thought of starting over. SO: has anyone ever applied the guide wrap over the top of the underwrap? In other words, the guide wrap extends all the way to the edge of the underwrap. If this is whacky, please tell me - this is my first rod. If it's not whacky, then I might do the entire wrap in metalic pearl. It will not be fancy-schmancy like Al's productions, but the rod will he elegantly simple with one color, and it will surely jig up codfish all the same. Please give me some feedback on what to consider with these underwraps.

IF you like the look of Pearl on the blank, get a spool of Nylon in the color of your coice, wrap the guides over the Pearl. No color preserver on the guide wrap, just epoxy.

Scott,

If it were my rod I would apply a thin coat of finish to the underwraps. Wait three days and wrap the guides on with black thread.

The color combination with look great and you will not get any bleedthrough from the guide feet through the overwrap.

Al