Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vern

factory guide sizes

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Was in the shop the other day and was looking at a lamiglas 10ft graphite casting rod.i think the first guide was a 20 or something small like that.Most custome rods have a 30 for a first guide.whats the differance performance wise..

The short answer is, it depends smile.gif

The long answer is it depends on:

Reel spool diameter/type i.e a small "long cast" spool (most of the current asian reels) do not require the large "collecting" guide that you might use if you are using a Penn 704, 706, or a VS. Further, if you deploy braided line (no memory coils) on the LC spool the first guide can be even smaller icon25.gif

All that being as it may, the use of smaller guides generally requires test casting/tuning with the intended reel to get the best performance. As you noted, most factory rods have larger first (stripper or collecting) guides. I suppose this allows them the most leeway in placement, as they cannot know what reel is going to be used.

As for the particular Lamiglas you saw, perhaps Lami figures that the folks that buy their rods are likely to be using newer reels with braid.

gad

My mistake, if it was a convetional rod the guide size is dictated by line type and distance from the reel. Again using braid, there are no coils to corral so a smaller guide can be used. Likewise the further toward the tip you move the stripping guide the smaller (ceteris paribus) the guide you can use. Reel width has little to do with guide selection/placement unless you go with something really wide or tall.

All this boils down to is, if you want ultimate performance you need to find a rod builder who will test cast and do static deflection test with your reel and line. Many builders rely recipes and the last rod they built as the basis of guide and placement decisions. If you are ever in doubt, ask to test cast the intended setup before it's wrapped.

This IMHO, is the essence of a custom rod and why I build my own smile.gif

Your mileage may vary,

gad

When I build casting rods in that length range , I generally go 25 if a reel about the size of an Abu 6500 will be used and 30 if a 7000 or 7500 will be used. I also think if you will be using heavy mono instead of braid go bigger.