Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Flatbow

One more time - Butt length

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Okay, did the search thing, and now I'm really confused...

I'm putting together a 9 foot conventional, one piece, rated for 1-4 ounces. My plugging rod. most I read say anywhere from 20-28 inches from butt end to middle of reel seat. BUT the ticas and others I have measured have only about 15-18 or so to the center of the seat. I know I should adjust it to fit my feel, but am curious about how much distance is affected by the length. I want a long caster, which would seem to dictate a longer butt for leverage, but I don't want to compromise the action of the "relatively" short blank length. After all, going to extremes, we're talking about almost a foot of blank here.... Doesn't a higher reel seat / longer butt make the rod action stiffer???

Thanks for any wisdom here....

All my rods that I like have butt to spool center distances of 23-25 inches. A longer handle gets in the way plugging. My friend Bill just built me a honey Lami 1213M cut to 9 1/2 feet. This is a fairly heavy blank. He set the seat to give me 23" butt to spool center. It looked awful short, but, the more I use it the more I like it. With the butt on my hip, the reel is just right for jigging or working a popper. 23 inches is plenty for casting leverage. At the Rhody castoff I was able to throw a 4 ounce bank sinker about 450 feet with that rod and an Abu 7000. I think that if the butt was just a few inches shorter, it would put a lot of strain on my arms to cast it all day. The only factory casting rod I have is a St Croix Ben Doerr 10 footer. The seat is at 24" butt to spool center.

I set up my conventionals so that the butt end will just clear my armpit during a cast. For a bait only conventional, that's just going to end up in a sand spike, I go about 24". Its a comfort factor for me, I hate when a long butt section gets in my way.

Why not use one of the Fuji plate type reel seats to determine what is comfortable, casts best, etc. You can simply tape it to the grip and experiment until you find the length you are looking for. After that you can wrap it in place, and seal it with flex coat just like you would a guide.

Thanks for all the input - makes sense to me... I attached a few guides w/tape, and taped the reel (6600 C5 Mag-X) on in different places to "test feel" it. Ended up with 22" to spool center being the most comfortable without being in the way. With a split grip, and a bit of an overhang on the bottom grip, I'm not losing any "usuable" length of the blank. I think I'm going to love this rod - The top 1/3 seems to recoil for lack of a better word upon release - if I load it properly (slowly) it almost slings the metal by itself with very little exertion on my part.

One question remains though.... Why does Tica and some of the others make the butts so much shorter than is obviously the desired length? As I said earlier, my 9 foot tica has only a 17" butt.

Les