Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Toad in Nj

Clueless...Need Help!

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I have a 8-3 Ben Doerr Elite that the tip just cracked, about 2 inches from the top.

I just had the reel seat on this rod replaced a month ago with a Fuji so I really don't want to sent it back to St. Croix for a replacement.

What are my options here?

Have someone cut it down past the crack and attach a new guide?

Will that completely screw up the spacing on all the other guides?

Have someone take all the guides off, replace with Fuji's and cut it down a few inches? (cost on that)?

Thanks in advance.

Todd

Todd, Al is at Montauk fishing. I'm sure he will give you an answer when he returns.

I had a similar experience with the tip breaking off an 8' spinner. It broke just below the guide below the tip. I cleaned off the break and installed a new (slightly larger) tip. The rod is not as good as it was before the accident but it's still in use.

This might not be your only option however. In my case, I was down the shore and needed a rod later that day. So it was fix my rod or get a new one or miss out on some good fishing. I suggest you wait for Al's response before you do anything.

Todd: If you still have the tip section, Make an internal sleeve from an old blank section and epoxy the two sections together. After the epoxy is dry, make a continuous wrap over both sections and apply your favorite rod finish. You could also make an external sleeve to go with the internal one and wrap that. Hope this helps. Bummy

Thanks guys.

I had no idea (I should have scrolled down and read the post) that Al was in Montauk.

I appreciate the replies.

I will wait to see what he says as well.

Their is NO WAY I will do this myself, I don't have the interest or the patience.

Just one of those times where I don't mind paying a pro to do quality work.

Now, the ex girlfriends brakes I'll fix smile.gif~

Todd

I'm guessing Al missed this one so I'm giving it a bump. I'm curious about what his advice to Todd would be.

Al, I'd also like your opinion regarding my situation that I described above. Do you think it is worth the effort and expense to have the rod (8' St. Croix Tidemaster spinner, rated for 3/4 ounce to 2 ounces) completely rewrapped, or should I just live with it as it is?

Thank you sir.

Toad,

Sorry for the long delay in responding. I was in Chicago for a few days after Montauk.

Here are my thoughts in oder of preference:

- Send the rod back to St. Croix for repare or replacement. They should stand behind their product. My guess is that you will get a new rod.

- If the above option does not work out then you probably will need to trim back the tip and put on a new tip top. You will lose some of the low end casting ability.

- My guess that sleeving the break is not an option since it's too close to the tip.

Good luck,

Al