Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JoeB

Online Source for Blanks/Components

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I'd appreciate any and all inofmration regarding what online shops you guys purchase blanks/components from and any experinces (good and/or bad) you could relate. The time is getting close to placing that first order!

Thanks!

[ 01-24-2004, 07:57 PM: Message edited by: JoeB ]

There are some large online companies that you can buy parts from, BUT I would have to steer you to a local shop FIRST. Yeah, you have to pay retail, but if you only need a few things what you pay in shipping it ends up costing you way more for an item. Local shop can aid in your problems first hand and you may end up find out some good spots to fish as well. wink.gif

The part that bothers me the most is you go to order the product to find out they are out of stock in the size, or style you want. tongue.gif If you buy it locally you can look at it and they help in deciding on components.

Having some one show you how to do something is a big benefit as opposed to just reading on how to do it. smile.gif Some local shops offer free clases - you just pay for the parts.

Yeah, I am a big advocate for buying stuff local. Don't get me wrong, I buy online when I can't find things I need. Gotta drive an hour or so to get to a well equiped rod building shop - a bit too far to do it on a whim. wink.gif

I second everything mad dog said!

However, I've used some of the online companies and I can honestly say that I've paid more!

Sometimes a real person beats the computer anyday!

With someone like myself, buying locally is not an option. There aren't any local (or even distant--within 100 miles) rod builders' shops. If you're in that position, type "rod building supplies" into your search engine. Then contact some of the businesses & get a feel for em. Another place to look is on Tom Kirman's site rodbuilding.org. He has a lot of good suppliers listed.

I've done some business w/Mudhole & I like em. icon14.gif Same w/REC. & Dan Craft. & Cabelas. Several inexpensive blanks from a site called Rod Blanks . com. (I hope that's not a commercial link!) Of course, most of what I have built (and am working on now) is fly fishing equipment. With surf rods you'll have to ask somebody else. wink.gif

Some of us don't have a local shop to buy rod building stuff, so we have no choice but the Internet. I've ordered a few thousand dollars worth of stuff from MudHole, and have not one complaint.

And near as I can tell, Scott is a real person... Just ask and he will help you through any purchasing decision.