Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Al Goldberg

Winter Basic Rodbuilding Workshop

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Plans for a winter workshop are coming together quickly. It will be a one-day intensive basic workshop on a Saturday on Long Island.I should be posting more info just after Thanksgiving.

Billy,

I am looking at the following January dates which are Saturdays: 1/5 and 1/12.

The 1/12 date is in conflict with the Conclave. 1/19 is in conflict with the Nassau Sportsmans Show and 1/26 is in conflict with the Somerset, NJ Fly Show.

Al

[This message has been edited by Al Goldberg (edited 11-13-2001).]

Jan 5 and 12 would fit in my schedule great. I joined Tri State Rod Club lastnight and they have rod building classes Jan 19th 26th and Feb 9th. Lastnight I got to see Clay Johnson and Cam Clark demo feather inlay butt decorations. They had rods with them that looked like works of art, what an eye opener. So it looks like either way I will get some instruction.

Bruce

Saturdays are great for me. I'm a National Guard guy that got activated and Saturdays are my only days off. What luck! Anxious to see you demonstrate rod biulding in person since I've already learned alot from you on this board. Thanks for your help.

Thanks Mr.G

I will look those guys up at the next meeting in February. Mr.Clark and Mr.Johnson also had great things to say about you. I was asking some questions and they asked where I was learning so many good things and I mentioned your name. (hope you dont mind) They spoke very highly of you and your talent as a builder. You should have seen the flyrod rod Mr.Clark had with him. I dont know any other way to describe it except for perfect. Mr.Johnson said Cam finished his last production rod a short while ago it was # 720 or something close to that. Thats a whole lot of rods. Bruce

Bruce - did Cam have the 7 piece fly rod with him as well? Candy Apple Red threads with Black inlays, a Flames pattern butt wrap, and yellow E-Glass material for the blank. I love Cam's rods, simple elegance. If you want a quick history lesson on wraps, ask to see his books which contain patterns and pictures from the past 20 years or so.

I have started working on the program. it will be an intensive basic rodbuilding workshop. It will run all day from approximately 8 AM to 5 PM.

The program will be made up of mostly demonstrations by experienced rod builders that I know personally and would recommend to anyone looking for a quality custom rod.

The program will primarily focus on fundementals of blank selection and rod construction. The final segment of the program will focus on the artistic and decorative aspects of rod building with demonstrations on fancy butt wraps, decorative handle inlays and other artistic subjects. Finally, there will be enough top rod builders there as instructors to answer any questions you may have as to a particular rod application and it's construction.

We might even have a fleamarket for blanks and components.

Billy has been to two Rodcrafter seminars and he can vouch for the intensity of the programs.

Bring a notepad, and be ready to scribble as much info as possible. THe handouts will help, but there is so much going on and so many guys with ideas, you'll NEVER be able to remember half of what went on.

You guys are in for a treat!!! Take the opportunity now to make sure you set aside a day or 2 for this.

Billy

Billy it was a 3 or 4 peice fly rod I only saw the butt section. Yellow Lami Possibily #7 Line, cream and Black thread work. It had a weave of the owner initials. There were many nice rods there from a bunch of builders. I can tell I am going to learn alot from this group of guys. Ps: I'm heading North Friday to test the xra1204 I just finished.

Bruce,

It's like walking under Niagara Falls with a tin cup. You can just catch the spray. An incredible amount of knowledge in Paoli. I know alot of them for more than twenty years, Cam, Clay, Ben and Roger.

Have fun.

Al