Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EBHarvey

Sic fly guides on a quasi-lowrider setup....bad idea?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I was thinking of using single-foot #7 Fuji SG Sic fly guides on my next project, a Batson ISA1087F, instead of double-footed SVSGs or concepts. The rod is going to have some sort of lowrider/new concept configuration, so with 5 or 6 of them out near the tip, I figured that the weight savings could be significant. Any good reason that I shouldn't use the fly guides? Or, has anyone tried them before?

In addition to what Salt asked, how had are you on tackle? THe single foot guides do not lend themselves to bangind around - they will get bent & shift around in teh guide wraps if you tend to bang them around. Do not forget how you transport teh rod - I have had the most trouble when sticking a dzozen rods in teh back of a truck and havign them all tangled up.

I'm pretty careful with my stuff - got a few beaters that I throw around, but I take good care of the nice ones.

As for the leader - the water in this part of the sound is rarely clear - I usually only use an 18" flouro leader - so I'm not worried about the knot.

Good points, I need to be thinking about this stuff before I sink $200 into an unfishable rod.

Great idea IMHO...I'm building a 10' GUSA Surf Assasin thats perfect for throwing large soft plastics. My plan is to try a 20-25h as a gathering guide and knock things down quickly ending with # 8 single foots on the fast action tip section, and a # 10 tip. The goal...to have a very light "in hand" rod that will throw soft baits well, and enough guides to help protect the blank if a "large bass" is in the vacinity.