Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DeadlyDick

Foam and Cork Grips...A Question or Two.

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

1) I want to re-grip a rod with foam. It originally had foam that wore off. How much will it cost (roughly) to "re-foam" it

2) Also, i want to regrip a sealine x with cork. now i dont have the confidence or experince to this on my own. because of this, how much will it cost to have it done professionaly? is it worth it?

cheers,

DD.

Neither idea is practical or doable in a very cost-effective manner. Rods are built from the bottom up...reargrip on first, then the reel seat, foregrip, and finally, the guides. Just replacing a foam or cork foregrip will require removing (and then redoing) all of the guides; a rear grip means removing the reel seat, at which point you are completely rebuilding the rod not to mention the time and expense of all the tedious removal and stripping work. Unless you're a true glutton for punishment and are going to do all the work yourself, it's probably a lot better to just retire either of those ideas.

If you meant to say cork tape grips on that Sealine, that is a fairly reasonable operation to undertake

DD,

The cost of the grips is inexpensive. The problem is you have to strip off the guides to install a new fore grip. If you also want the butt grip done that means removing the reelseat.

Two options are:

- Replace both grips with cork tape.

- Install heat shink tubing over the existing

grips.

Al

YOu could always instal teh foam & seat from teh butt, so you don't have to cut all the guides off. GEt an extra blank that is wider than the end of your existing stick. Slide the grips over the end of the spare rod - it'll slide right onto the rod you're trying to fix. A friend of mine jus tdid this, and once he got the grips/seat off, it took him 20 minutes to do2 rods, and no re-wrapping.

That makes it even easier. I don't bother with repairs, but teh technique to do this has been posted by Roddesigner aka John Britt on several boards several times. It's actually an easy thing to do.

A question, not necessarily a solution. To replace a foregrip; has anyone just split one (after reaming it much closer to the actual blank size than usual), put it on and glued the seam back together? Seems to me it might work, and if the seam bothered you just heatshrink or wrap it with tape. I don't know if I'd trust it on a 100lb tuna stick though.

My .02

Also,

to replace the butt grip, why would you havee to remove the real seat? coulnlt you just slide the new foam grip on from the bottom? confused.gif

you couldn't because the rod is tapered.

Also,

to replace the butt grip, why would you havee to remove the real seat? coulnlt you just slide the new foam grip on from the bottom? confused.gif

you couldn't because the rod is tapered.

Once again, yes you can, people who do repairs do it all the time.

I just spent teh better half of 40 minutes searching a couple of sites for info on installing a new grip backwards. Couldn't find it, but I just ain't searching the right places, and I ain't searching no more.

What Billy 40 said... You DO NOT need to take the guides off to replace a foregrip when using foam grips. Just cut off the old grips and the seat, replace the foregrip from the butt using a piece of scrap blank LARGER than the butt of the rod to be fixed to stretch the foam enough to get it onto the butt- at which point you just slide it forward into place. Put new arbors under the seat and put the new seat on from the back. Then put the rear grip on the same way you did the foregrip. It's easy... Remember to use a foregrip that is close in ID to the OD of the blank. You don't want one that is much smaller in ID or you won't be able to stretch it enough- esp. on a fast taper blank.

Or, for a 5 minute fix, just cut the new foregrip lengthwise with a very sharp razor, apply epoxy liberally, and slip it over the blank... The trick to this second method is exactly what DAn King suggested- before you cut the foam you need to bore it out with a reamer to the EXACT diameter of the blank or just a hair larger. Otherwise there will be a gap in the foam. If you are careful in reaming, AND cut with a brand new super sharp razor, AND don't let the epoxy creep all the way up to the cut when you put the grip on-- you can not tell it was ever cut unless you pry the two sides apart with your fingers.