Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rob-s

perigree guide decision

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

concidering buying sale rods from the perigree sale.

the choices are 1081m spinner wrap,

tica taurus 5000

1202L coventional spiral wrap

abu 6500c3tc reel

what should my guide choices be for these applications?

are these blanks going to be light enouph for plug rods?

thanks for all opinions

rob stone

also i dosnt say but i am assumeing these blanks are fast action with a heavy backbone

are they? and a good choice for stripers

[This message has been edited by rob-s (edited 01-01-2003).]

Rob,

Both of the models you picked are surf blanks that are excellent for stripers.

For the 1081M spinner I would go with the Fuji YSG SIC high frame single foot guides: 30,25,20,16,12,10,10 and a PST tip.

For the 1202L conventional I would go with the Fuji NSG's: 30,25,20,16,12,12,10,10 and a PST tip.

al, thank you

expect a barage of questions as should i attempt this as they will be my first.

many of wich will be rather simple

as , on the spiral turn should it be on the butt section? as it is a two piece rod it seems as it would be best not to make the turn were the break is?

#2 would i put the sections together and wrap and turn as a 1 piece or seperate the sections?

kinda makes me smile to have to ask such a thing ,

thanks again rob-s

Rob,

I would not spiral wrap a 2-piece casting rod. I believe the spiral wrap is better suited for heavier applications like a boat or stand up tuna rod. Just my own personal feelings.

You first will need to spine both sections of the rod and mark them. You can then wrap each section separately once you have spaced out the guides. Remember to wrap the female ferrule with size A thread to reinforece the walls. Do not wrap with too much tension since you can distort the ferrule.

Just fire away the questions.

Al

I ordered the 1202L myself on Tuesday. Don't need it, can't afford to built another rod right now, but just couldn't pass up the price. I'll be watching your posts as I also intend to build it conventional (after I finish the 1266 I just started!), with gold NSG guides. I would love to know what guides and spacings you end up with, as well as what you choose for thread colors.

Thread colors seems to be a current hot topic. The best advice I can give you is to really observe the world around you. Nature gives you many examples of great color combinations.

Remember that simple designs seem to be more striking than complex combinations. if you are wrapping on a dark blank then your underwrap should be a light color to contrast against the dark blank. Also, tipping the underwraps with a light color will give more of a effect than a darker color.

I guess I will have to post a few photos of my color stick showing different color combinations on a dark blank.