Rod Lathe

Rate this topic

kw

Hey all,

I'm sure this topic has been discussed here before, but the search function on the board doesn't appear to be there.

Any suggestions on a rod lathe? I've seen the Renzetti out there, and thought Clemens made one as well. Any others out there making them, and pros/cons?

Thanks in advance.

Clemens and Renzetti are basically the same machine.

They are not cheap, but they make the work a pleasure. If you have a bit of $$ to burn, or are really serious about building rods, I'd get one. If you will make a few rods here and there, look at Pac Bay, American Tackle and I forget if Flex Coat makes a lathe. Either way, get a three jaw adjustable chuck from Penn State Industries and you will be styling.

Proud to be a NERB and I have the shirts to prove it!!

Actually, the Clemens & the Renzetti used to be pretty much the same, no longer, the Clemens 8 spool thread carriage is totally different than the Renzetti, the 4 OZ. Thread carriage on the Clemens allows no jerking of the thread, totally different than the Renzetti, and of course, the beds on the Clemens are 4' long, the Renzetti, 3' long. The Rod Supports on the Clemens have chromed uprights, the Renzetti have blued/blackened uprights. Other than that, they are similar. Both are great units, of course I am a little bit predjudiced torwards the Clemens!

There is also the Power Wrapper made by Anglers Workshop, the Pac Bay, The Batson Rainshadow Unit, the Am Tac unit. The latter three are very similar, all of those are made overseas. Flexcoat doesn't make a lathe, they do however make wrappers.

Basically you get what you pay for based on your actual needs. If you don't need a lathe, buy a wrapper, if you need a power wrapper and not the full blown lathe system, buy a power wrapper.

Thanks for all the help so far. I seem to remember Dale Clemens had a website at one time. I've been away from the rodbuilding scene for a while. Is he still in business? Does anyone have a link to where I can get one of his lathes?

Thanks again.

Both the Clemens and Renzetti lathes are great machines that will last a lifetime. I've had a clemens lathe for a few years and love it. I've also wrapped a few rods on a Rodsmith Power Wrapper. It did the job well, but it was not as solidly built as the clemens and I don't think you could turn down a grip with it. If you think you are going to need to turn cork or EVA grip, I would go with the Clemens or Renzetti.

Mike S

I have two of the Renzetti units and have had them since the early or mid 1980's. They've been used hard but still look and work like new. I consider them to have been money-makers for me rather than an expense. They allowed me to do things faster and better than I could before I had them. Renzetti has been around a long time and will continue to be. They are well known and respected for their designs and machine work in the fly fishing industry, as well as the rod building industry.

If you don't want to spend that kind of money, you can fall back on the units from American Tackle, Batson Enterprises or Pacific Bay. I'd just shop around and get the one you find the best price on. They're all similar and all these companies are excellent people to do business with.

I have the batson wrapper, and like it quite a bit. For the money, a very good piece of equipment. Stopped at the goodwill, picked up a used Singer for 20 bucks, and tweaked it to allow turning cork, worked pretty good. That said, I could see if you turned a lot of cork or foam handles, a dedicated lathe would work better.