Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AnthonyT

10' or 10 1/2 foot fly rood blanks

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Al,

Once in a while I hear of 10 or 10 1/2 foot fly rod blanks that are not Loomis. Do you know who manufactures these blank ? They are sometimes designated 9/10 weights, if this helps .... Also are they any good ?

Thanks,

AnthonyT

Tony,

I really do not follow fly rod blanks that much. I would check with the top manufacturers like Loomis, Scott, Sage, T&T, etc. Another suggestion would be to attend the Somerset, NJ Flyfishing Show in January. All the major blank manufacturers will be there.

Al

Anthony - E. Hille has 10 1/2 blanks and I'm fairly certain that these are the blanks that Ken Abrames uses to build his rods. I'm not sure who makes the rods for them. They come in 3 weights, 6,7 and 8. The 8 handles up to 11. Hope this helps.

JonS...

Greatly appreciate the info..... Next question... any value in a medium action 10 1/2 foot rod in the surf ? I know that Kenny swares by them, does anybody else ?

Thanks,

Anthony

write the old guy an email, he doesn't bite. Well, i take that back, don't get him in a bad mood. wink.gif I have his e-mail if anyone wants it

------------------

Matt Baker

Custom Tied Flies

Bristol, RI

The rods Kenny uses are IM6. They are older slower actions. Ken does say in one of his books that most of his friends can't cast his rods. My rods are older so I probably wouldn't have trouble. the blanks are $95.00. If you build one and don't like it you could turn it into a noodle rod for schoolies and cocktails. If you email Ken ask him to bring one to the Somerset Show. I have a feeling that he'll have some there. Then you could give it a try at the casting area.

Kenny will have some rods as well as the booth next door, The Saltwater Edge from Newport. He will also have on hand many of his famous Hackles, really great stuff

------------------

Matt Baker

Custom Tied Flies

Bristol, RI

I plan on attending the Somerset Show on Saturday, January 20th. I will be at the Clemens booth doing a little wrapping demo.

Please stop by and say hello.

Al G.

Might want to check out the new Pro blanks Clemens is selling also .I just purchased the 10' 9/10wt. and it looks reel nice but I haven't put it together to try it out yet.

The new surf blanks look great also.

Ken