Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rhodyred

Lathe Type Or Standard Type Chuck?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I've been looking at various electric Rod Wrapping machines I would like to know if someone could fill me in on the big advantage of having a lathe type chuck as opposed to having the standard chuck. I'm using a flex coat V notched wooden hand wrapper for now. Once my skills improve and my rods look better I'll invest in an electric wrapper.

rhodyred, the "lathe type" chucks will accomodate right on up to the largest blank butt diameters. Assuming you're referring to a typical drill chuck as a "standard chuck", capacity is much less, typically only a 1/2", max; more often, only 3/8".

I assume a lathe chuck is a three jaw self centering chuck. Be sure to look at the Clemens Rod Lathe , Rhody. Well worth the extra money if you decide to upgrade.

I do see myself building more than 10 rods a year in the near future. Others have also told me to buy clemens rather than the pac bay or flex coat. I keep hearing this from people who no a lot more than I do about this so I guess it would be smart to start focusing on a clemens. Thanks guys.

Rhodyred - Dick French (Clemens Tackle) has announced a sale on the lathe packages they sell. do not know how much off, but I'd call them soon to get in on a deal. Make sure the bed section is long enough for the surf wands you build. I build only rods 7'6and less (for now. I need an 8 foot bed section and 3 sets of ball bearing rollers - although one more would be helpful.

I suggest the Basic #1 package they sell + whatever length bed and an appropriate # of rollers. Al gave me these same suggestions early this year and it is a great investment and worth every penny, especially since it is on sale.

Billy

[This message has been edited by Billy 40 (edited 06-18-2001).]