Samak

Van Staal C-Vex 9/12 thoughts....

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

On 4/17/2014 at 5:43 PM, MagnesiumJello said:

They also have tremendous amounts of drag, I think around 20lbs.

I owned a 7/8 and 9/10 overall they were great reels but I was disappointed by the drag as it was way less than advertised. Although I have friends who have caught small tuna and sharks on them but they require a lot of spool palming to do that.

On 1/19/2014 at 4:57 PM, mikemontauk said:

I've caught small tarpon, bones, bass, albies etc. My spool popped off once, as I did not seat it correctly after cleaning. Do I think there are better reels in that price range? Yes. Has the reel ever let me down? No.

Mike

Actually if you turn the drag up close to full bore and then just pop the spool on and shimmy it in place you will never have that problem again. Coincidentally if you don't do that good luck getting the spool on. Otherwise it's a great reel in the smaller sizes.

On 1/19/2014 at 4:57 PM, mikemontauk said:

I've caught small tarpon, bones, bass, albies etc. My spool popped off once, as I did not seat it correctly after cleaning. Do I think there are better reels in that price range? Yes. Has the reel ever let me down? No.

Mike

Actually if you turn the drag up close to full bore and then just pop the spool on and shimmy it in place you will never have that problem again. Coincidentally if you don't do that good luck getting the spool on. Otherwise it's a great reel in the smaller sizes.