Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Oznavad

Hypalon Grip Question

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I'm trying to install a 1/2" ID hypalon grip on a blank with a .85" butt. I tried lightly heating the grip in a warm oven, but it only got 3/4 down the blank. If I could have gotten it to epoxy, I would have had some lubrication. My fear is the grip cooling and stopping in a spot where I can't get it back off. How hot can you make the grip without damage? Do I have the wrong size? I tried reaming it a little, but it didn.t do much.

Any advice would be aprreciated as usual.

Hey, are you copying my problems???wink.gifwink.gif I did the same thing about 2 weeks ago, only I was using 1/2" EVA trying to get it to stretch onto a diameter of .800 With Customgrip, I think this wouldn't be a problem, but regular EVA isn't as dense nor as "stretchy".

Now as for what I did?? I cut it off and reamed out another piece of EVA until it slid down the blank closer to the butt, maybe about a foot or so. I use Rod Bond as the epoxy, which also acts as a lubricant, and had no problems the second time. Lesson learned.

My suggestion for you would be to take the grip off and ream it out some more - OK a lot more - until it was about a foot away from where the top of the grip will stop. Personally, I think you should epoxy the grips in place, but I've been reading more and more about people using Elmer's Glue and Acetone as a lubricant to get it in place. Whatever. I suggest using some brand of rod builder's epoxy, to glue the grip - it can't hurt and is pretty inexpensive.

Good luck, Billy

Oz,

You will probably have to cut off the grip and start over. How long of a grip are you trying to install?

Here are the steps you should follow when installing synthetic grips:

The ID of the grip should be slightly smaller than the OD of the largest point on the blank where the grip will installed.

Drop the grip onto the blank and mark the position where the grip stops. Remove the grip.

Apply lots of slow cure epoxy on the blank above where the grip the stopped and all the way down to its final position.

Slide on the grip and thoroughly coat the inside of the grip with the epoxy glue. Clean moving the grip up and down and turning it to spread out the glue inside the grip.

Now push the grip down the blank in one moton. Use a push board to push the grip in place.

Clean up the blank and grips with isopropyl alcohol and paper towels. Wipe it down several times to get the blank and grip thoroughly clean.

That's it.

Al,

I'm trying to put on 9" grip on a Calstar GF700L. The rod has a fast taper to a max of .85", I think. I tried to ream it some, but my cork reaming devices (rat tail file and tapered reamer) didn't seem to be getting much done. Anything beater for reaming Hypalon?

Oz,

Call me, you have my number at home. If not then email me and I will send it to you.

What you need is a tapered ID grip that I have in the shop. It will go on without a problem.

Al

In the future, you may want to puchase some coarse grit from Clemens and make your own reamers. It's really easy to make, and they work like a charm. They sell 2 kinds Med grit (for Cork) and Coarse for Foam.

G700L - sweet blank, what're you building it for?? I got one that'll be use for jigging Bass/Blues when I get a chance to make it.

Billy

Oz,

I've used the board thing and it works. This works better IMO. The last time I put on a Hypalon grip I buttered up the blank with epoxy, slid on the grip until it stopped and got out the basketball needle for the air compressor blowgun. Stick the needle down the top of the grip next to the blank. Hold around the top of the grip with your thumb and forefinger to seal off the top and hit the air. The grip, which was tight to begin with, slid down and I almost fell over, no fight. It just dosn't seem the same.

Have fun,

Dan.

Phil,

I'll collect mine at the marina bar at Gone Fishing, Montauk. Dynamite frozen Margaritas after a good day on the water.

Soooooon,

Al