Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
william1

temporary casting

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Im building a few fly rods for my son.Like to cast them first before permenently tying the guides on,when ever I do so the guides slip around the rod . I dont get a good feel for the rod and it makes last minute adjustments difficult. Tried masking tape, that tuff wraping package tape and cable ties they all slip with single leg guides.All suggestions are appreciated. waaah.gif

Get them where you think ther are right from the rubber bands , wire tioes ,. etc. through the stress test. By try it out if you mean actually casting then just tie them on and try it without putting the finish on. If you don't like it , it take sabout 30 seconds to cut off without the finish so just do it over again. Your going to have the rod for twenty years , take an hour or two when building it and get it right!. Then coat it when you like it. Just burnish the wraps again before finishing incase they moved in the trial.

Many distance casters dont even bother to wrap thier rods at all. Infact I have competed with a rod the was just taped together with electrical tape. Place the guides where you want them and tape them down tight with the electrical tape. and go fishing and casting. If you like where the guides are placed, mark them and wrap them. Electrical tape works great. Big Dave