Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeH

The Magical disappearing rod..

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

or Iam sure glad that its not mine!

For the third time in my fishin career,I witnessed a rod/reel disappear while the owner could only stand there with that very stupid look,mouth open soon to be filled with a string of profanitys.This was because he forgot the ONE step in bait fishin that shouldnt be ignored.WAKE-UP and back off the drag.I thought that a fish swirled at the shoreline but soon focused on him frantically reaching down to a set-up that was moving just a tad faster........never to be seen again........

What would you do? I used my "phone a friend" option. biggrin.gif It was too good to keep to myself and I had to share with another that couldnt come out with us that night.

My "loser" friend tried casting weights/trebles most of the night,knowing full well that it will take a long time to live this one down.Would you be more consoling or let him have it full bore?

How often have you seen this?

That's why I heart.gif my Squiddahs, engage the clicker, disengage the antireverse, and wait for the next victim smile.gif

As for your friend, Never Forget! wink.gif

gad

That's why I heart.gif my Squiddahs

Same reason I like my Bait-Runners...just like that rotisserie thing, "set it...and forget it"... seen way too many rods that surf better than I used too biggrin.gif

OK, OK...have had one or two rods sucked over the side, hung on the anchor rope redface.gifrolleyes.gif

I've seen it on yhe cape fishing on the bay side. Guy omes walking down the beach asking if I had seen someone take his rod. I said no but asked him if he had bait in the water. He said yeah. I told him to come back in a few hours for low water as the area was all flat and exposed for quite a way at low tide.

Saw the guy the next day. He thanked me. Bluefish took the rod out of the spike and the rod and the fish were high and dry when he returned.

steve

I've seen this at least twice- last time in Cape May Point. The guy doing the war dance waded chest deep with no luck. His buddy cast for ten minutes with a 3 oz Hopkins and retrieved rod, reel, and the striper still attached!

It was still funny to watch!

I'll have to admit it happened to me was doing something and I thought my buddy knocked my gear down. As we were both reaching for the set up it took off. We both looked at each other and started laughing! cwm27.gif Gave up the bait started plugging soon after

In '95 I was being re-acclimated to saltwater fishing after about 15 years of freshwater only. I found myself on the Great Bay in NH under the GSB. I had a 6' fiberglass Diawa that I used in NJ for fluke and a 3 piece LLBean fly/spin combo for travel. Had some night crawlers left over from bucket mouth fishing that I put on the small stick in the hopes of catching a pollock or something for live bait while I threw a kastmaster with the bigger stick. About an hour into my ordeal, and a bunch of beers later I heard a distinctive crash and gurgle and watched my small rig head down river to Portsomuth. Talk about kissing 200 bux goodbye! At least I still have the fly-reel. I decided that descretion was the better part of valor. I keep everything seperate now.

LoL,

I seen the same thing today.Some guy bait fishin a 14 foot pole.While he was casting with a lure looking the other way he gets a hit on his 14 footer.I yell about 150 feet from him yo,hay.Then the pole go`s down with about 7 feet of pole heading out to sea.He still cant hear me,so the guy next to me yells to him.He grabs his pole and reels in a small blue.

Two weeks ago i casted a slab of squid,and while putting my pole into the pvc my bail started to go out hard core(its a big one),i look up and its sea gull tangeld up in my line.

It happened to me, almost....

Early in my first summer of surf fishing, probably my 2nd or 3rd trip, I was "dead sticking" a killie for fluke while plugging with a fin-s for whatever would bite. I get a hit on the fin-s and the line just starts peeling off steadily due east. After watching line going out for 5 minutes, another fisherman start yelling and pointing to my other rod. Its down and heading towards the water. I grab it before it disappears and now I have a pole in each hand, line flying off the reels, both fish racing to the horizon! I'm thinking what the @%! do I do now, but after a few moments the line on the bait rod breaks. After a long 20 minutes fight, I land a big cownose ray on the plugging rod!

I've since seen it happen a few times where a school of rays will be moving down the beach, you can track their location by looking for the rods getting pulled down!