SCIENCE!!! the thread.

Rate this topic

shante

Dry ice and acetone sure makes some interference parts come together.

A guy who worked in aerospace told me that some parts would be pinned together by reaming their holes undersize and then dropping a cooled pin that had been submerged in dry ice into the parts' holes.

As the pin expanded in the perfectly reamed holes it would achieve the desired interference fit.

"Who is John Galt?"
Who?
You?

I saw frozen water before.. I think they called it ice or something

-Hey dumbass it's not about a kill or no kill tournament, it's about how much your 2nd favorite club can mug you! That's it...

-the reports thread is the yenta section for NJ..  

-If’n ya cut yer teeth on Ava and teaser fishing please take a seat in the back and keep quite… 

-is monkey see monkey do fishing even fun..?? 
-yes I still fish with mono..  On occasion 

Liquid Nitrogen will burn your hand its does boil off quickly but not that fast that it won't burn you. Trust me I know first hand.

If you have a continuous flow of liquid nitrogen on your hand it will freeze it but if you just spill some on it will not freeze you or harm you. For over 15 years I worked with liquid nitrogen, using it in vacuum traps to freeze HBr2 before it reached the vacuum pumps. Handled the insulated flask that held the liquid nitrogen many times with my bare hands and got splashed quite often, you barely even feel it. Now lean up against a liquid nitrogen line for a fraction of a second and that's a whole nudder ball game. Trust me I know first hand. :D

fishinambition  Posted June 30 ·After a decade and a half of trolling and disrupting the website, frank's finally fed up with Tim's bull****

Zirconium is an elemental metal which is basically chemically inert (though certain acids do effect it)

As such it has a myriad of uses in corrosive environments.

Also for encrusting tweezers.

powerless

A  type of liquid helium (helium 4 I think)  has zero viscosity and will, against gravity, climb the walls of and overflow its container... so almost as thin as DD coffee.

And, the new color "wheel", yellow, magenta, and cyan are primary . Red, blue, and green are the secondaries. It is more equally divisible to determine "true" secondary and tertiaries if you are mixing additive colors.

Is hard to forget the classic mnemonic though, especially when commonly available pigments have been developed and adopted to serve the traditional wheel that most people are familiar with.

Dry ice and acetone sure makes some interference parts come together.

??

never mind. I read this page. :D

Zirconium is an elemental metal which is basically chemically inert (though certain acids do effect it)

As such it has a myriad of uses in corrosive environments.

Also for encrusting tweezers.

I'll leave you with this gem.

You know it must be a penguin bound down if you hear that terrible screaming and there ain't no other birds around. 

Snow and ice can 'disappear' without ever melting.

Sublimation is the transition of a substance directly from the solid to the gas phase without passing through an intermediate liquid phase. Sublimation is an endothermic phase transition that occurs at temperatures and pressures below a substance's triple point in its phase diagram. The reverse process of sublimation is desublimation, or deposition.

At normal pressures, most chemical compounds and elements possess three different states at different temperatures. In these cases, the transition from the solid to the gaseous state requires an intermediate liquid state. Note, however, that the pressure referred to here is the partial pressure of the substance, not the total (e.g., atmospheric) pressure of the entire system. So, all solids that possess an appreciable vapor pressure at a certain temperature usually can sublimate in air (e.g., water ice just below 0 °C). For some substances, such as carbon and arsenic, sublimation is much easier than evaporation from the melt, because the pressure of their triple point is very high, and it is difficult to obtain them as liquids.

Sublimation requires additional energy and is an endothermic change. The enthalpy of sublimation (also called heat of sublimation) can be calculated as the enthalpy of fusion plus the enthalpy of vaporization.

Snow and ice sublimate, although more slowly, below the melting point temperature.[1] In freeze-drying, the material to be dehydrated is frozen and its water is allowed to sublimate under reduced pressure or vacuum. The loss of snow from a snowfield during a cold spell is often caused by sunshine acting directly on the upper layers of the snow. Ablation is a process that includes sublimation and erosive wear of glacier ice.

Snow and ice can 'disappear' without ever melting.

Sublimation is the transition of a substance directly from the solid to the gas phase without passing through an intermediate liquid phase. Sublimation is an endothermic phase transition that occurs at temperatures and pressures below a substance's triple point in its phase diagram. The reverse process of sublimation is desublimation, or deposition.

At normal pressures, most chemical compounds and elements possess three different states at different temperatures. In these cases, the transition from the solid to the gaseous state requires an intermediate liquid state. Note, however, that the pressure referred to here is the partial pressure of the substance, not the total (e.g., atmospheric) pressure of the entire system. So, all solids that possess an appreciable vapor pressure at a certain temperature usually can sublimate in air (e.g., water ice just below 0 °C). For some substances, such as carbon and arsenic, sublimation is much easier than evaporation from the melt, because the pressure of their triple point is very high, and it is difficult to obtain them as liquids.

Sublimation requires additional energy and is an endothermic change. The enthalpy of sublimation (also called heat of sublimation) can be calculated as the enthalpy of fusion plus the enthalpy of vaporization.

Snow and ice sublimate, although more slowly, below the melting point temperature.[1] In freeze-drying, the material to be dehydrated is frozen and its water is allowed to sublimate under reduced pressure or vacuum. The loss of snow from a snowfield during a cold spell is often caused by sunshine acting directly on the upper layers of the snow. Ablation is a process that includes sublimation and erosive wear of glacier ice.

If I'm reading that right, it can also appear, meaning from gaseous to solid without going through a liquid phase. Science!!

You know it must be a penguin bound down if you hear that terrible screaming and there ain't no other birds around. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt Buck View Post

ROY G BIV is acronym to remember the visible light spectrum from low to high being red,orange,yellow,blue, indigo and violet. Anything below the spectrum is infrared and anything about is ultra violet.

I had forgot about ROY G BIV...

Went out for sushi with the girlfriend this weekend. Their Rainbow Roll is called the Roy G. Biv. Knowing that homos regularly fly a rainbow flag, I asked her if Roy G. Biv is a famous gay guy or something. She laughed and said, "No you stupid ass. It's red, orange, yellow...." True story. :wee:

A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals.

Along those lines....

Please do not throw sausage pizza away is commonly used for the OSI Model AKA TCP/IP Stack

1 - Physical Layer

2 - Data Link Layer

3 - Network Layer

4 - Transport Layer

5 - Session Layer

6 - Presentation Layer

7 - Application Layer

I had forgot about ROY G BIV...

Went out for sushi with the girlfriend this weekend. Their Rainbow Roll is called the Roy G. Biv. Knowing that homos regularly fly a rainbow flag, I asked her if Roy G. Biv is a famous gay guy or something. She laughed and said, "No you stupid ass. It's red, orange, yellow...." True story. :wee:

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."