Building up the Tip

Rate this topic

Duckwump

I am facing the prospect of

(1) putting a top that has an internal diameter (ID) of 14/64ths on a tip that it is 11/64ths

(2) Putting a top with an ID of 10/64ths on a tip that is around 7 or 8/64ths.

My questions are as follows:

Can I build up the tips to take those tops?

Is there a rule of thumb when a top is too big for building up a tip?

When building up the tip wiht thread, should I also apply finish to the thread (and let that cure) before attaching the top?

It would seem to me that putting thread on the tip without finish would not be sufficietly strong.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Tom

Tom,

I guess my question is why not use the proper tip size?

The dimensions you gave I feel are too large to effectively build up the tip and have something that will look decent when done.

Please tell me the model numbers of the tips you are using and maybe I can swap them with you for the proper size, assuming I have them in stock.

Al

I have decided to use larger guides and tip on the breakaway 11'9" I am building. After taping and laying out the guides and tip that I have (NSG 25, 20, 16, 16, 12, 12, 12, PST 12) with the reel I intend to use on it (MKII Sports Rocket CT) I see that there is some friction againt the stripper guide (and near the tip) as the line comes off the reel. I have the stripper guide at about 38" from the reel and I don't think I should move it any more forward.

After reading Dale Clemen's book and consulting with some folks, and looking at the custom rods that I have, I think it would be better to for me to go with guides and tip that are once size larger (NSG 30, 25, 20, 20, 16 16, 16, PST 16).

I suppose that I could have tried using a higher frame stripper guide such as a SVSG but I wasn't sure that I could line it up well with the other NSG guides.

The only PSTs that I have seen in the catalogs have IDs of 10/64ths and 14/64ths and it is my understanding that the tip of the 11"9" is 11/64ths, hence my need to consider building up the tip.

I have been told that fuji makes a PST 16 that is 12/64ths; I just have not seen it listed in the catalogs. (I will call Clemens to see if they have it.)

With the other rod, I have a Allstar 1265 that I bought as a kit last year. The last two guides on it are NSG12s but the tip appears to be a PST10. The rod casts beautifully but I can see line is pinched coming of the rod beause the top of the tip ring is much lower than the top of the last guide. As good as it casts, I think it would cast better if I put a PST 12 on the tip. However, the tip of the 1265 appears to be around 7 or 8/64ths (According to my ruler; I don't have calipers yet smile.gif) and I think the smallest PST 12 listed in the catalog has an ID of 10/64.

Do they make PST16s and PST12s in the sizes that I need? Should I consider some other tip design?

Sorry to hit you with such a long post. I suspect that in my interest tweak the best casting performance out of these rods, I am making the process of building them much more complicated than it has to be.

Thanks again for all of your help

Tom

Tom, in my opinion the guide sizes (you have are right on the money. We start with 25's on our heavers with larger reels so it will be fine for the rocket. We typically use 25, 20, 16, 16, 12, 12 and 12 tip. I built a heaver for my Daiwa SLX20 (norrow spool)and started that rod with a 20, it throws very nice.

Tips: The 11'9" model#1418 breakaway will take a 10 I.D. tip. You can get it in a PST12 or PST16.

For the 1265 you can get a PST16 with an 8 or 9 I.D., you can only get PST12 in 10 and 11 I.D.

Hope this helps, Gary

Duckwump, I've got 3 rods with the PST 14/16 tops all conventionals 11'. 30mm to 16 tops, works great. You can solve your problem using Hardloy if you want. I just use thread for build up making sure to seal it with epoxy before installing the top. Over 15 years with no problems at all. I like the fact of no more swivels getting stuck in the tip and the added weight to load the tip on lighter plugs. Just my .02. Prospector

Saltheart, by the way, I remember a posting of yours on the Hatteras Outfitters board titled, "the Rocket Launcher" about using the 11'9" for casting metal long distances to Stripers. It is one of the reason's why I bought this blank.

I had been using a lamiglas GSB 132M for that purpose but I wanted something with more power. I plan to fish the 11'9" extensively this summer on Plum Island.

Best regards,

Tom (aka Duckwump)

Good luck with it Duckwump. You'll need 4 OZ and up to really lean into it though. With 4 OZ though , 150 yards is available to you if you can handle it and the reel. I don't mean the 150 yards some guys claim they can throw a 3/4 OZ swimmer. I mean an out of site , legitimate 150 yard cast. Hard to believe till you see it.

Thanks. 150+ yards is what I'm shooting for. Time to put fresh rocket oil in the bearings and to polish the spool shaft in my sports rocket smile.gif. I will need that distance if I want to reach the channel from the north side of Plum Island without treading on the "jetty of death".

By the way, where is the stripper guide on you rod? I am looking at putting mine at around 34-35" which is just below the ferrule/. I am wondering whether it might work better to put it on the ferrule, provided, it passes the static test.

Tightlines

Tom

That would depend on your butt length. If its a short butt , you'll need to put it on the butt section. If you have a butt about 28 to 32 to the reel seat , then you can probably put the stripper right on the ferrel. So the answere is...it depends. smile.gif Mine is at the ferrel.

[This message has been edited by Saltheart (edited 02-21-2001).]