Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rockscrambler

Fenwick GSP784F?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Al-

Are you or any of the other veterans here familiar with this blank? Someone's trying to sell it and describes it as 2 pieces, each 40 inches long.

Im thinking of building a 7 foot spinning rod for about 1/4 - 3/4oz lures, and, say, somewhere between 6 and 17 lb line (some narrower range within those limits).

This would be my first rod building effort. What questions should I ask?

Thanks

Rock,

The Fenwick GSP784F is a 2-piece 6.5 foot blank. If it's a current model than it was manufactured in the Far East and is pretty thin walled.

I can recommend an number of other blanks. Please answer the following questions:

Reel and line you will be using?

Primary fishing application and where you will be fishing?

Do you prefer a one piece or two piece rod?

Max amount you are willing to spend for the blank?

Al

Al-

I'm thinking a two piece rod, primarily for albies in the breachway and small schoolie stripers when they are crashing the beach in calm water in late fall and when they are hanging around the power plant in winter. Maybe Hickory Shad when nothing else is happening. Basically, when the surf rod is overkill and a 6-1/2 foot freshwater bass rod is not quite up to it. Stren mono, Trilene, or Gamakatsu copolymer line. Not braided.

If the rod came out nice, I'd like to match it up with say a Penn SS4400. The 4500 seems like too much reel for this rod?

I've got to keep the total rod cost no more than $100.

Thanks for the help.

------------------

rockscrambler

Rock,

let's first work around the blank. The rest of the components are:

Decent cork grips $20

Set of Fuji hardaloy spin guides $15

SIC tip $4

Fuji Reelseat $5

Butt Cap $2

Total of these components $41

That leaves you $60 for the blank.

Is a 2-piece blank a necessity or will a 1-piece blank be okay?

I csn easily assemble all the components for you out of stock, but I only have one piece blanks.

Al

P.S. I had the "Thundering Herd" from SOL here last night led by the infamous Crazy Alberto and they can attest to all the goodies I have in my shop.

The original (made in USA) Fenwick "Fenglass" blanks are a dark brown in color, very similar to the current version of Lami's S-glass blanks. Some of the two-piece models also came in white. They've been out of production for at least 10 years, but you still may be able to find some here and there, and it's possible that 784 might be an original. I found a 7' original Fenwick blank at Donarts within the past 5 years, I think it's an SP847?? Not 100% positive. But, that "G" before the SP in the above mentioned model says "graphite" and I don't know of an easy way to determine its vintage--especially since Fenwick was fond of selling the blanks unlabeled, and including the blank model and line/weight ratings in the form of a little stick-on decal that often fell out of the plastic bag sleeve.

$60 for the blank is probably going to limit you to S-glass in the Lamiglas line, which isn't the worst thing I can think of smile.gif I think they make one called something like the SMB 84 2F that should fit the bill. If you want to go graphite, you can often find some good buys on St Croix blanks.

[This message has been edited by Ditch Jigger (edited 12-30-2000).]

Thanks Al and Ditch.

It's been a long day and a half or so. A couple of New Years get-togethers yesterday, slept in this morning.

But one of the parties may prove to be productive. I was talking to a friend of my wife's cousin - big bucks guy who does some fishing - and told him what I was up to. He says he's got a 7-1/2 foot G Loomis two piece (I need a two piece) that he'll probably never use again. Says it cost him about 150 and I could have it for half that. I doubt it's got any use on it to speak of. Yowie zowie!

I just hope he comes through and he's not BS'ing. In case he doesn't, I appreciate the St. Croix suggestion, Ditch. Al, any other ideas for a two-piece? BTW, what difference does line type make?

Thanks again.

------------------

rockscrambler