Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Al Goldberg

Hurray! The last two rods are done for 2001.

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

My rod building for 2001 has finally come to a close. One is a Christmas present ordered for a gal. I called the rod the "Purple Monster". The name describes the thread colors perfectly. It will be used for partyboat fluking.

The second rod is a 7.5 foot 2-piece rod for permit fishing down in Mexico. It's the first rod I built on a Graphite USA blank and I am very impressed with results. I can see me building more of these in a one-piece for light plugging and lead heads with plastics.

With 2002 just around the corner, today I started to build two rods for myself that I will bring to the Rodbuilding Workshop in January. The first is a 7-foot conventional with a spiral wrap rated from 1/2-2 ounces. The second is an 8-foot conventional plugging rod rated from 1-3 ounces.

The second rod is built on a bass flipping stick with a telescopic butt that I permanently glued in place. I have several of these in my arsenal already and they make terrific plugging and eeling rods casting from a boat.

I hope to finalize the date and location of the workshop just after Thanksgiving. I have already developed the agenda, spoke to several Rodcrafter buddies to be instructors and have gathered together a load of blanks for the fleamarket.

My best to everyone for a Happy Thanksgiving. Now all that is left to do is to pray to the weather gods for fair weather for next Saturday, 11/24, for the SOL Tog Shootout. Boy am I ready to do battle.

Al

Al,

Congrats on finishing up your '01 orders.

I picked up a couple of GUSA blanks that I plan on building over the next few months. One is a B79F, rated for 1-3 oz. and 25# line. I have a feeling that it's going to make a great light jetty/surf stick. I plan on setting it up new concept spinning. The other one is a B65H. It will be used for light bucktailing from a boat in the Chesapeake. I'm considering a spiral wrap for this one. What do you think?

Thanks,

Mark

The second rod is built on a bass flipping stick with a telescopic butt that I permanently glued in place. I have several of these in my arsenal already and they make terrific plugging and eeling rods casting from a boat.

Al

Al, what is the advantage of using (glueing) the telescopic butt ? Is it because you just love the blank charectaristics, and didn't want the telescope aspect, or is there a specific advantage ?

Mark,

The spiral wrap should work fine. Just remember to do a gradual spiral, not radical. it will allow a better shoot of the line through the guides with less friction.

Stu,

Many years ago I experimental with my first flipping stick blank and was impressed with the results. Ever since I am always looking for discontinued models of this type. Since I do not need the telescoping capability, I just permanently glue up the butt.

Al