Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kingballyhoo

Stripers Anonymous

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

That's probably where I'm headed. Last winter I took up plug-making. This summer I started tying my own flies and last night I started to wrap my first custom rod (a Loomis 1025 steelhead blank that my girlfriend got me for Christmas). Hopefully I'll be throwing redfins and bombers with it this Spring. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks.

Justin

Hi kingballyhoo,

Welcome to SOL. Wow, your really getting into the equipment building part of Surfcasting in a big way. Congrats and good luck.

Your post caught my attention because I'm going to try and build my first rod this winter. The thought of screwing up a perfectly good Arra blank scares me but with Al's tutorial I hope I can get through it O K. smile.gif

Again welcome and please keep us posted on your progress.

Ralph

Hi kingballyhoo,

Welcome to SOL. The thought of screwing up a perfectly good Arra blank scares me but with Al's tutorial I hope I can get through it O K. smile.gif

Ralph,

Why not cut your teeth on a blem or a gator glass blank for your first rod to get a feel for wrapping. I did and I'm sure more than a few others here did too.

You wrap one or two blanks that run maybe $20-30 and get an idea of what's involved and the tools and supplies you'll need. Maybe get a couple of ideas on color combo's for the wraps.

By the time you're done with them you'll be able to build that $200 Arra blank with confidence.

I built two blems for my first two rods. I had a friend walk me through the first one and then the second was easier and came out a lot better because of experience. Each blank you build subsequent to the first one will usually come out better than the last.

There is a lot of help available here if you need it.

Just my $0.02... Good Luck

Oh and welcome to the site kingballyhoo. smile.gif

Mike W.

MNW is giving sage advice in starting out with a blem blank. That's how I cut my teeth in the early years develop my skills. Besides, the finished blem makes a great back up rod in a pinch.

Al and Mike, Thanks for the advice. Working on a blem never really occured to me.

Funny thing is that on Saturday I was visiting a local b&t shop and a guy in back brought out a rod that he said was nearly 40 years old. He was in the final steps of rewrapping it. It should have dawned on me then that used or blemished rods are a good value. icon15.gif

Thanks, Ralph