Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kip

St Croix rod blank

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

i sent a SS100M2 back to St Croix for repair/replacement. the St Croix response was that the rod was out of warranty and they offered a new rod at a discounted price. since i am trying to build my own rods now, i countered with the possibility of a blank instead and they agreed. so, i will be receiving a PSRS100MS blank as a replacement. the service person indicated that this rod has cross wrapped graphite strands and the entire blank will have to be flex-coated. anyone have any experience with doing this? i appreciate any advice that you may offer. happy holidays!

Out of curiosity - what was wrong/broken with your rod that made you send it back to St Croix?

Some place still carry those blanks and sell for around $80-100. I bet this next blank (assuming its a Premier surf) won't feel anything like your old one.

Put a wanted ad in the buy/sell/trade forum here and I bet you can get a decent used one for ~$100. The double footed stock Pac Bay guides on the Doerr line I was never crazy about (seen a lot of them in shops for repair....lol).

Freeze mister...

Don't flex coat that blank!

You'll want to put a couple of coats of Duragloss on it.

The stuff is made by U-40 products and it is very good for this.

Wipe the blank down with denatured alcohol, let dry, dust off with a clean hand and a lint free cloth.

Next... Don a unpowdered surgical glove and "stroke" on a very thin coat. Hang vertically from the wire loop I didn't tell you about but that I just know you attached to the tip of the blank.

You can add another coat in a few hours and she'll be ready to wrap the next day.

p.s. This stuff is a moisture cure formulation so a humid enviornment is preferable to a baked dry room.

Almost forgot... Wear a vapor respirator, please! This stuff is bad for you cwm31.gif

maddog,

the rod splittered about 8" above the ferrule, hence the return to the factory. the sad thing is that i didn't even have the pleasure of breaking it. i was casting for spanish and was asked how i was able to cast so far by an older gentleman. i had the st croix in the truck so i gave him a casting lesson on the beach. he was doing quite well when on a cast it sounded as if a pistol had gone off and the rod was bending at a very unnatural angle. the guy felt very bad about it, but i told him not to worry about it. stuff happens. as i said, st croix offered a new series rod at a discount ($102 shipped for a $170 rod), but i wasn't crazy about the guides either, so i wnated to build it myself.

i met a guy on the beach who was using a new configuration for placing the guides where you got more distance without the dreaded wind knots. since i hardly ever use spinning gear anymore, i thought that i would build this one set up for spinning as a back up in case the wind was really howling and i wanted to throw for blues and spanish.

i think that i have some permagloss that i got when i was trying to decide whether or not to use urethane instead of epoxy. if not i will order some.

thanks for the information....

happy holidays!

Thats a great price shipped for a pretty nice rod. Now if they changed the guides (added one more, or two) they would be o-tay.

Building one over the winter is a good learning experience and it keeps you tied up so you don't WISH you were fishing in a warmer climate. I plan on making some rods over the winter to keep me off the internet.

Let us know how you make out and post a pic of your rod when its built. smile.gif