Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Saltheart

Guide spacing

Rate this topic

2 posts in this topic

Hi Al,

Thanks for the dimmer switch tip. Its perfect now. Fast or slow as I want. smile.gif

My question today is about calculating guide spacing. Here's what I've tried. I've tried locating the gathering guide (what's the best way to locate that guide?) measure the distance from that guide to the tip then using some calculations to determine the first guide spacing from the tip and then increasing that by 1.2 or whatever to get the other guides located.

I've also tried determining the node spot? That is , the place it flexes from when shaken rapidly up or down or side to side. I then use that node spot to determine distance from the tip and use that as the distance to be divided by a factor to determine the position of the first guide and the multiplier so one of the guides lands exactly on the node spot.

I figure there must be some way to load the rod tip , take some deflection measurements , then locate the guides at the optimum spots. Is there?

How do you determine where to put them on a blank you have never seen before.

thanks

Salt,

You are getting ahead of me on the rod building articles. Part 3, covering guide spacing and wrapping will be out next week. In the meantime here are some guidelines to start with:

For Spinning:

- Depending on the diameter of the reel spool and the type and line test of the line, the stripper (gathering) guide can be anywhere from 25-50+ inches from the face of the spool. You need to test cast the rod after taping the guides in place and eliminate any line slap on the blank.

- the guide closest to the tip can be from

5-8 inches from the tip depending on the height of the guide off the blank.

- the remaining guides should be spaced in increasing increments of at least one inch towards the stripper guide.

Conventional:

- the stripper can be anywhere from 21-28 inches from the center of the reel seat.

- the guide closest to the tip should be

4-5 inches from the tip.

- the remaining guides should be spaced in increasing increments of approximately 1/2 inch towards the stripper guide.

Finally, you need to do a stress distribution test to insure that the line is not touching the blank and that there is a smooth power curve to the rod when the rod is "loaded".

Al