Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BassAssasin

Blank Question.

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I have been in limbo regarding a rod I want to build. A friend told me he could get me any St. Croix blank for $20, he knows a wholesaler. Was going to get the 3S94M and take off 4" to stiffen it up a bit. Well this too good to be true deal has not yet come to fruition so I am back to choosing another blank. I want the rod for fishing canals, inlets near bridge pilings so it needs to be fairly heavy. About 9' long, and it will be a conventional, has to handle at least 3 oz. minimum. Was thinking of the Sabre 1088 but I was advised against it, reason being it is really stiff and you really don't have the option of throwing anything lighter. I have felt the blank and it is a bit stiff, I also looked at the Sabre 1087 which had a faster action. Someone suggested the Allstar 1088 (I think that was the numer), I have never felt it though. Anyone have any suggestions based on the intended uses I described earlier? Thanks for your replies. BA

Bass,

You need to norrow down your requirements.

- Is it 1-3 ounces or 2-5 ounces? You first said a minimum of 3, then you said you wanted the ability to throw lighter than 3 ounces.

- What line do you intend to use? Mono or braid?

Al

I guess I was a bit vague on the lure wt.1-3oz. would be what I was getting at. I will on be throwing artificials no bait with this rod. When I said 3oz. minimum I meant that I wanted to be able to throw 3oz. but if the rod were rated at 1-3oz. and it could handle 4 w/out much trouble that would be preferable. I would be using braid for sure.

Thanks for the reply Al.

I had a chance to do some ceiling poking at Mike T's on Saturday with a variety of blanks. That 1088 All-Star looks line a winner to me. Thicker tip and it bends deeper into the midsection that either the 1088 Sabre or 1081M Lami. I don't know how well it will throw something under an ounce, however.

I routinely throw 3/4 oz Bombers on my original Sabre 1088, which I cut about 1-1/2" from the tip. It's much easier to throw lighter plugs on the Loomis 108-20 that I have. That rod also handles 3 oz well, I've thrown 3 oz bucktails in the Canal with it just to see what it had. I have the Sabre 1087 as a spinning rod and it begins to labor once you get over 2 oz.

I get mixed information on the availability of Loomis blanks. The 108-20C comes as a factory rod, if you can live with the short butt section.

$20 is way below wholesale on the 9'4" St Croix Elite blank. My guess is the guy would be getting you a "second". $20 just about covers the manufacturing cost of an intermediate modulus graphite blank.

Personally, I think the more versatility you want from a rod, the more you should look at glass over graphite. A graphite that can throw 4 oz in a pinch and wrestle a bass from around a piling, yet still throw under an ounce on the low end, is a tall order.

Yea Ditch, I knew I was asking for alot when I stated those requirements but I figured there might be something out there that would come close. That way I wouldn't have to build 2 rods instead of one. I know $20 is cheap for those blanks but he said any st.croix blank for that price, like I said I have yet to see this happen. He also said these were not blems or seconds, that is why I held off building the rod I described in this thread, whatever that will be. I was just starting to consider glass, maybe that is the only way to get close to all those requirements. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Bass,

It is a good "rule of thumb" that the more you narrow down the requirements of a blank the better overall performance you will achieve.

Al