Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
william1

guide perperation

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

It's not rocket science, get the ramps tapered enough for the thread to climb smoothly, & polish them to remove any burrs. Check them with a cotton ball or pc. of pantyhose (more fun !)- if you get a snag -they need more polishing. The unified wheel from Bingham Ent. is perfect for polishing.

Make double sure that the feet sit perfectly flat on the blank. Might want to use a rattail file or chain saw file for the underside of the guide feet. You don't need much, just a little contour for the bottom.

It's not rocket science,

Harv, that's BS - everythign is rocket science when it comes to rodbuilding. You should now that by now. Prepping guide feet is probably the hardest thing for me to do properly, I wish it were as easy as doing butt wraps.

Billy, Your gifted ability on buttwraps may come from those wild things you snorted as a kid ! ?? :>}

I gotta admit -I've watched a LOT of builders

get started--I think I never saw anyone take to thread art as quickly as you did!

( Tweaking guides comes that easy for me-usually ! )

Ever get one that just plain won't bend up & sit right ? I just pitch it after 3 attempts!

HArv - if you saw how some of the guides looked when I wrapped them, you'd give me a swift kick. Especially the larger ones. I'm improving, but not by much. I figure if I make the wraps really bright nobody will notice. lol.

Everyone has an Achilles Heel. I do OK butt winds but I do great feets! wink.gif Ask Billy, he has seen my guide feet and I even showed him how I do it. At one time, I saw one of his guides after grinding and I noticed how it was multi facetted (sp?) like a diamond and I proceeded to knock off the "points" with my Wet or Dry and showed him how nice it was after 30 seconds of work. Not that hard. Takes less patience than doing one of his St Joe's crosses, for sure.

IMHO, the only way to get a perfect match on the underside of a guide foot is to mark off the spot where the guide will be wrapped and put some 320 or 400 Wet or Dry on that spot and keep stroking your guide over that spot. I did my guide feet this way and it came out polished, with a capital P.

So there you have it... from top to bottom.

[This message has been edited by mrsinbad (edited 04-15-2003).]