Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Matthew

Resorting a very old rod

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

hey i would like some help restoring my grandfathers rod it's really the only thing i have of his seeing how he died before i was born and i would just love to be able to restore it and i was wondering if any of you guys knew how to do such a thing. well if ya do post here or send me an email. thanks in advance

well lets put it this way the rod is very very old about 40 years or somewhere close to that and i looked at it today i will need to get a new reel and cork grips cause reel is all busted and the grip is starting to have peices missing from it.

Got any photos of the rod?

Is it fiberglass or split bamboo, or some other material?

How restored do you want it to be?

You can get pretty elaborate to the point of making it "like new" if you want.

I will bring up one point...

If you are restoreing it to fish with and it's not valuable, it will be most likely less costly to buy a decent off the shelf rod.

If you are doing it for sentimental reasons, I'd go as far as you can afford if you feel it is worth it to you.

will post a photo asap cant get into shed atm due to having to move iguanas into shed because of a storm so will get one tomorrow

doing this mostly for sentimental reason because it was my grandfathers rod and he died before i was born i'll have to see if i can find the reel to it that might be too beaten up to repair and restore

No reel is too beaten up to restore. Even if you only get to use the sideplates and a few internals, it is still Grampa's reel! icon14.gif