Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kayakjoe

Baitcaster for tossing light rubber and jigs

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

It seems that this time of year I need to buy some new stuff to keep me pumped up for the upcoming season. I am thinking and baitcasting set up to to toss 3/8 to 1 oz. I want something that casts a mile and user friendly....Do you guys think that when it comes to light stuff like that I should stay with a spinner? Or can the right baitcaster out cast the spinner? I was thinking of a rod in the 7 1/2 to 8 foot range.

Joe---custom rods are nice, but IMO it isn't worth spending the money on a custom until you get to the 9'+ length range. There's a ton of off the rack factory models in the +/- $100 price range, in 7' to 8' lengths.

I used a Shakepeare freshwater "flipping" rod for light to medium use for a lot of years--I think it cost me less than $60.

If you want custom quality at factory price, look at St Croix's Tidemaster series.

Let me say up-front that I'm no fan of spinners but I AM a fan of practicality and versatility.That being said"go with the spinner".

Conventionals are the best for"aerodynamically efficient,concentrated mass lures" but start throwing light,non aerodynamic,bulky body stuff into the wind and even with magnetic cast control you're asking for the dreaded backlash.

Also since I get the idea you'll be fishing from a yak you have to consider that the conv will require a breakdown,clean and lube, when it gets dunked and when it gets dunked the drag ain't worth nuthin till it's dried out.

Like I said practicality and efficiency calls for the spinner.Just my $.02 worth.Neil

I have been using a Loomis MBR844 IMX with a penn 940 with 12lb test for plastics and jig heads from 3/8 to 3/4 oz and small stick baits with no problem.

Rainshadow makes a SWS70L ( or SWS70ML?) and SWS70M that would work also.

If you are comfortable with a BC stick to it.

I have a fixation on getting a Loomis L905 for a 7 1/2 foot light jig & plastic rod. I have a L844 and love it, the 905 is a tad heavier though. Never used it though, but the fact that it is only offered as a blank and cannot be bought off the shelf makes me want one. This is a very popular rod onthe West Coast for guys throwing swimbaits to White Sand Bass.

Billy,

I have been using a Loomis L905 for years casting small stuff in Montauk. it is a sweet stick. I matched it with a Calcutta 250 and 10 lb Fireline. Awesome on albacore.

Al

P.S. I still like my Impact more.

You happen to have any more of those Impacts you're willing to part with? the last one is half wrapped conventional, need at least onemore as a Spinner. I've been trying to find someone overseas who can find them, no luck.