Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bassman

Urethane painted rod not curing

Rate this topic

2 posts in this topic

Al & everyone, I really enjoy this forum. It is really getting a lot of people into building their own rods. My real problem is I had an 11' Lami that 9" of tip was broken off by a well known surf guide, who shall remain nameless. I told him don't worry about replacement, I will make a herring livelining rod out of it. Well, I followed your instructions Al, about the urethane paint, & it has been 4 weeks & it is still soft. It has never cured. My question is do I do the whole rod in flex coat? I would think that would seal the paint & provide a harder finish to the whole blank. I really appreciate your input on this, because he will be expecting to see this rod in a few weeks. Bob M

If the paint is not curing it will eventually flake or chip off the blank. Covering it will Flexcoat will probably not solve the problem.

I would lightly sand down the blank, tack it off and then apply two very thin coats of fresh paint. Get a new spray can of auto paint and try to spray it on very lightly.

Try to let it dry in a low humidity and dust free room. Allow the paint to cure for at least three to four days before starting your wrapping.

Good luck,

Al

[This message has been edited by Al Goldberg (edited 05-23-2002).]