Harnell 540

Rate this topic

Sedge Man

Guys,

I found out the other day from W.B. Gelbke (Zim at Steven's B&T) that I have an old Harnell 540. The rod was passed down from my grandfather, who I think originally wrapped it and added some diamond-shaped wooden handles on the butt end. Zim complimented the time and care someone (probably gramps) took in desinging the rod.

Zim really thought it was a nice rod, and I respect his opinion. Does anyone else here know the background or history of the Harnell 540? Any personal stories or experiences? I'm told it is a classic, and since it has such sentimental value to me, I'd like to know as much as I can about the rod. My grandfather, God rest his soul, is still my hero, and I think any input from you guys would just add some flavor to that rod. Plus the rod definitely has good mojo.

Thanks for anything you can add.

SedgeMan

A lot of old time Sharpie's in Sheepshead Bay use HArnells (not sure of the exact model) for Pinhooking Bluefish. I've seen 15# Bluefish swung over teh rail "green" with these rods. TEhy are very popular down there.

"the internet is the greatest platform for people who don't know anything, to tell people how much they don't know, to people who don't know anything and believe everything they read."
-Billy 40:16

Billy,

Funny you should mention Sheepshead. My grandfather was a charter boat captain outta there at some point. Not sure the name of the boat, but I remember him telling me a doctor owned it. He also used to fish alot with Freddy Moore, who I think owned the "Miss Moore" way back when.

Thanks for the response.