Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zim

First rod

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Anybody still got the first rod they ever wrapped?

Mine was a Daiwa I bought about twenty-five years ago, and re-wrapped it about six years ago. Sometimes I think I should wrap it again, but it makes me laugh so I leave it alone.

Still got mine. I was a production Garcia Colon brown 10' conventional that I bought on Long Brach Pier. Used the hell out of it then around 1983 did a re-wrap. It does make you laugh........ And every once and awhile I fish it with my squidder with 30# Ande mono.

Alot of good childhood memories on that pier. I learned alot about fishing, casting, custom rods, and tuning reels there.

mine was a 7' 3wt Diamondback "Carbonite" blank that i used for a small trout stream near where i went to college. this was about 15 years ago. i still have it, and i still use it. in fact, i got a couple of nice snapper blues to about 2 lbs. on it in september.

MIne is an old white spiral Lami that I use around rocks, just rewrapped it last spring. Had it for ages and dont even remember the blank number these days, numbers wore off years ago.

I got some peices of the first rod I wrapped, if that counts. It was a Stripped down 10ft St Croix Ben Doer...the ones with the weird (Diawa?) silver guides that grove with Mono? Somewhere around 1990...re wrapped with hardloys (#50 striper ,black with white/gold trimar...no dec wrap) still have a dusty part of the butt section, the rest was used for mandrels, reaming tools, and repairs I think. Best and oldest is a Lami GFW 72 M? I don't know it old...and in the spring I got two 36/38"ish bass on a sluggo on this little twizzlestick...fun stuff with "Stripersniper63" in the battleship skiff!

My first was a UL freshwater spinner made on a Fenwick Feralite glass blank. Made it back in the early 70's. Not sure if graphite was even out then or if it was too much $$$. The rod is a wet noodle compared to todays rods. Matched it up with a Mitchell 308. Caught a lot of fish on that set up icon14.gif

Mine was a Lami steelhead rod. Not a bad wrap job but one horrible job applying the 30 minute epoxy finish. smile.gif Its all lumpy and yellow now but hey , you got to start somewhere and there was no internet to get advice in those days. I've had it over twenty years now.