Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ncsurffisher

7' heavy spinner guide size/spacing

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

These will be used for tarpon, large red drum and cobia in the Pamlico Sound. This will be bait fishing in little or no current with 2-3 oz of lead and large chunks of bait, maybe 6 oz total payload. Casting distance isn't really an issue. The blanks I'm considering are the seeker composite jig/heavy bait. Like I said, I'm not that interested in throwing it a long ways, but I need something with lot's of backbone to handle large baits & powerful fish. Penn 7500 & 8500 size reels with 25-30 lb mono is the norm. In conventional rod/reel combo's we use something like a Penn MH power stick and a penn 555 gs. 30# offshore tackle basically. These are big powerful fish caught in very warm water, so the idea is to boat them as quick as possible. I like conventional tackle myself, but have been asked to build a few spinners for some friends. Thanks in advance. smile.gif

NC,

Two Seeker blanks on my short list are the CJB65, CJB70 and the CLB708. I like the 65 at 6.5 feet since it will give you more leverage.

As far as guide sizes I would go with the Fuji BSVLG 40,30,25,20,16,12 and an SIC tip.

Given the size of the 8500, the stripper guide should be about 30 inches from the face of the spool. I would tape all the guides in place and make a few test casts. You do not want to choke the line too much so adjust tne stripper placement as needed.

Once you have the stripper placement adjust the position of the other guides and do a stress distribution test. This will be primarily a fish-fighting tool so you want a smooth power curve when the rod is loaded.

Hope this helps.

Al

Although they no longer make that many blanks (not sure if this oneis still one of teh few left) - Loomis SWS9025 factory. 7'6 25#. Used it with a Baitrunner 6500 for Tarpon in Floida, handled well.

Thanks Al! smile.gif I've got some of these new blue amtak double foot guides laying around, same sizes right? I think the biggest ring I can get for the size 9 tube is a 10 though, would like bigger but it will have to do I guess. With the fuji set up I'd have a choice between a 10 or 16 ring, which would you suggest? I guess 16 with shock leader. Thanks for all your help.