Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EBHarvey

Batson Guides?

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

So first I tried their blanks - love em

Then the reel seats - great

But the guides.....they look cool, well-designed, etc. but I just can't bring myself to cheat on Fuji.

Has anyone given them a go?

i have been using them for about a year and have installed about 300+ of them on many different rods.with out any guide or guide related failures.they are nice.even the cheapest ones hold up well in salt.

Batson Guides a few FACTS:

1)The largest US OEM uses them and promotes them.not to mention many other OEM's.

2)ASTM tested ( Black Frames ) 480 hrs saltwater spray tested, NO Corrosion.

3)Pre-ground feet on all guides - before plateing.

I hope more Custom Rodbuilders chime in to validate these and other details that make Batson Components some of the best in the industry.

Yes Fuji makes a fine product also.

it could have been you got a defective one it happens sometimes..i tried to bend them to pop out a couple rings to glue in a few of my titans which poped out.they didn't come out too easy.i ended up cutting the tops of the frames off with dikes then i had to torture them to get a few rings out of the cut frames.on one i actually bent the top half of the frame over and away from the ring and the ring was still glued to the bottom half so good i had to cut it and twist it a few times to get the ring to break free.i like fuji sic guides too but for the price of the base line forecast guides you get a very good guide.i had a few rods with fuji's corrode.in less than a month of use in the ocean.i have base line forecast guides which have seen salt almost every day for months straight with out washing and they still look very new.

They do come in nice colors, but like a mood ring, the inevitable green will creep in there.

As for Fuji guides corroding? Stick with Alconite for your budget guide and you'll be fine.

I see and read about lots of problems with the Batson/Amtak guides. I'll keep my fuji icon14.gif

Please do not associate Batson with Amtak. Two totally different companies with two different product lines. I would like to know where you read and saw the problems with Batson Guides. This way we can correct the problem. We have had guides on the market for many years and have had very few problems.

Yes Fuji also makes a fine product. And if you are happy with them then you should keep using them. But you do have a choice now.

Bill, I was hoping you'd chime in on this one, and appreciate how you personally back-up your products. I'm going to give them a shot, I kinda like the idea of doing an all-Batson rod. You all can be assured that I'll beat on it pretty well and report back with my honest opinions. Thanks guys.

I got burned with the Amtak guides, they corroded badly after just over a year on every rod I sold with them on it. I replaced them all with Alconites at no cost to the users. Since then I have been very leary of trying anything but Fuji, but I just built a rod with the Batson guides so we'll see how it goes. They look great and seem to be well made. The ones I got were ground very nicely and the frames seemed much harder than the Amtaks. I really hope they hold up so I have another alternative to the Fuji's. The guy I sold the rod to uses his equipment pretty hard so they'll get a good work out in the salt. I sincerely hope they hold up so that we all will have an alternative to the same ole Fuji's.

Clyde

Thank you for the kind words about the Batson Guides. If you are fishing in the Salt I recommend the Black frames for now. I have already tested a new Plateing, Gunsmoke ( TC ) not the LTC and it has tested the same as the Black ( 480 hrs saltwater spray - NO Corrosion ) These will be avaiable in the new catalog in the VD style. They are now avaialable in the new TCVS3T guides - Med/Med Hvy single foot spinning guides )I understand the concerns of fishermen and Rodbuilders and we are working hard to make even better products. We are also testing a new Substrate material for the frames. Fun stuff..

When you say salt water spray, do you have the guides always wet, or are there wet/dry cycles?

Keeping the guides wet will help avoid oxidation to a great degree.

When I find an artifact underwater, one that has been underwater for many years, it's usually in good shape save any electrolisys.

Put that same item on the deck of a boat and leave it un-maintained and it looks pretty shoddy in short order.