Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BobNoFish

Old FENWICK Blanks...

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Al,

Can you point me to somewhere that has a listing of old Fenwick blank numbers.

I've run across some and I'd like to get an idea of ratings etc.

1- Brown FENGLASS LB-996F

2- Yellow SP1024

Kind of curious...thinking of going Retro!smile.gif

It's those voices again...oh, it's just the radio.cwm31.gif

Thanks

Bob,

I can't give you any definitive info. However, an educated guess would be:

LB996F - 8 foot medium live bait 15-25 lb. I believe the "F" means it's a 2-piece blank.

SP1024 - 8.5 foot "4" power probably rated up to 3/4 ounce lures and 10-15 lb test.

Al

You certain of those blank numbers B-N-B? Not saying I had the whole line memorized, but neither quite rings a bell or is comin' up in the dim and dusty archives. Not yet anywaywink.gif

Could they maybe have been...

1- Brown FENGLASS LB-966F ?

2- Yellow SH1024 ?

...and the "F" suffix is definitely on the LB blank?

SP 847 was a sweetheart, DJ smile.gif That whole seven foot series in fact was a gem; seven different models from the SP 841 up thru the 848. I built a load of rods on that series years past; 843's and 4's for friends in south Florida and I still have a sweet, light pluggin' rod I built for wading the flats down there on an SP 845.

My preliminary dig thru the archives did turn up one rare gem. A well-worn J. Kennedy Fisher catalog along with some correspondence I'd had with them back in the day biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Bill Klein (edited 02-07-2003).]

Thanks Andy smile.gif Figured you had 'em right, but those two similar numbers did appear in the '89 catalog I unearthed so I thought I'd double check. By that time, both of your numbers had been dropped from the line. I do have older issues... back to the eary 70's, but I'll need to do some serious rootin' around for those. Maybe tomorrow or Sunday, so just hang in there.

In the old Fenwick system, btw, the first two numbers in a three number model (or the first three in a four digit one) equal the length in inches. The last number equates to "power" within that series. Al is correct in that the "F" suffix equals a ferruled model. We could probably extrapolate a bit and come pretty close, meanwhile. The LB966 was a fast taper medium power live bait blank and was rated at 1 - 2 ozs. in '89, probably more of a "sweet spot" range than a limit one. I imagine yours must be very close to those specs, just 3" longer. Closest current blank to your SP1024 in '89 was the 6" shorter SP964, rated as an extra fast, medium action at 1/2 to 1 1/2 ozs. Since the weight ranges slide up incrementally with length in this series, I expect your 1024 will carry something like a 5/8 to 2 oz. rating once the chart's unearthed.

[This message has been edited by Bill Klein (edited 02-07-2003).]

Not sure about the lure- weight/line ratings of either blank. but I do recall that the LB series had very fast tips and tapers and were designed for casting small baits(like anchovies) for tuna.They were easy to identify just by picking them up because the the butts were so heavy and powerful.Incredibley thick blank walls so much so that even the Fen Glas ones were heavy.

Could the gentleman with the JKF brochure possibly put it on the site here? I'd love to get to print a copy.JKF was the absolute best to my way of thinking. Neil

Aloha from Hawaii,

I have 2 similar SH1024F that were rated at 3/8 to 3/4 ounce. The blanks I have are the feralite models and brown in color not mustard colored like yours. I'm not positive but I think the line rating was 10 to 25 pound test. Hope this is of some help.

Mark