Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Billy 40

Anyone beat the crap out of their surf stuff?

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

I'm not looking for people like me who clean their rods after each trip. I'd like to know how DOESN'T take care of their stuff. How long it takes for the epoxy to crack, if you notice rust/oxidation forming on your guides, etc.

I built a 7' glass rod last year for light surf / kayak duty with the intention of beating it up. I logged about 80 days on it and only washed it off when it was totally caked in marsh-mud. The guides (Fuji hardloy - double footed) are just starting to show some oxidation and the flex coat has begun yellowing a bit, but no cracks.

I also have an old factory-built Penn Slammer that's seen a criminal amount of abuse over 5 years of chunking and bunker-snagging. The epoxy is totally cracked-up and the color of Coors Original.

I've got a few rods on the bench now for the kayak, then I'll probably do up a 8" beater for chunking with the Batson guides, then a 9' Lami Tri-flex (maybee G1000) with lowriders for heavier plugging.

You sound like my OCD roomate - this kid'll put a chunk-cutting board in the dishwasher, carry Purel hand-sanitizer in his tackle box, and arrange the loose guides on my workbench by size. I like having a rod I can throw in the sand, get muddy, step on, and cover with blood - kinda liberating once you get used to it - besides, if you destroy it, thats one more rod you can justify building next year wink.gif

EB - since you replied first, you have first shot.

Bill gave me a set of guides to test out and run through the mill. BVDLG size 50-40-30-25-26-16-12-10, as well as a couple of backups in the 30 & 40 size. I do not build surf rods, so if you think you can put these through a hardcore dirty test, it would be great. Dunk the rod underwater, throw it on the sand, do whatever you want...except clean it.

Obviously, since it will not be cleaned, it's going to get beat up. So will Fuji's...but we all know what to expect from a Fuji treated that way. Now we'll have an idea how the Forcasts will hold up to that type of abuse.

A note on teh guides just from looking at them - The steel they used on these frames seems very good. They are strong, not easily bent, and seem to have a nice plating/coating - whatever on the surface. The guides come pre-ground, and to my surprise they are coated OVER the pre-gound foot. If you were building a lot of rods, or you do not bother to wrap the guide feet - their pre-ground foot is definately something you may want to look into. For me, I would need to grind them better, but all teh guides I picked up were all ground consistantly - not one is better or worse than teh other.

the ring material - I have no idea what it is. It looks a little lighter than Alconite, and just as shiny (or dull, depending on what you want to say).

EB - send me your address and I'll get these to you when I get a chance to hit a PO.

Awesome, those are guides I was planning on using for my knockaround chunking rod, which you can be assured will be thoroughly abused. Thanks Billy!

PM sent.

Missed it. I have to finish my Batson SU1208 spin and my SU1209 trimmed to 9 1/3 ft.

My batson Su1209 has taken a fair amount of abuse from rock rash from the canal but the BSVLG guides are holding up.

My most used stick I wrapped maybe 4 seasons ago, plenty of cracks in the epoxy but no signs of guide foot rust at all-Fuji BSVLG'S. I do hit em with a coat of black rustoleum after grinding em though, but the only time it gets washed is if it's in the roof rack when it rains.

i used my first set of the budlg's matched to the bflg's about 1 year ago today.i tried them out due to word of mouth.on a slap together steelhead rod for a trip to the eel and mad.i was happy with them.then i put them on a couple of my mooching rods for the boat and was even more happy with how they held up in the salt.then i built my my surf rod with them.i beat it up,i fished the beach and cliffs just about every day for 3+ months with no bath.i scaled a few walls and slid down some on my back side rod bouncing the whole way down too.i have used them on just about every other rod i have built over the last year.i also like about everything i have tried from batson.here are the specs out of their catalog on the bvdlg guides..ss304 stainless steel frames,blk.chrome x2 frame plating,satin black frame color,hard aluminum oxide ring material,polished charcoal ring color.sizes from 50 down to 6 .no i don't work for them either..just a happy customer.their blank warranty service person not saying his name but he is excellent also.

Too bad I was late on this - I brutalize my rods. Go in the truck in April and stay there until Xmas. Sand, rocks and underwater at Montauk. The only time they get rinsed is when I'm fishing in the rain.

Reels are a totally different story, I'm pretty good with them (they actually get cleaned once every 2 months or so redface.gif )