Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Triet

Flocked Eva - Yay or Nay?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Hi,

I use flocked cork grips on some of my rods. I find them to be easy on the hands. They wash up easily with soap and water.

I get mine from a local rod builder who has them made for him. Are they the same as Merrick sells, I don't know.

Capt Neil

The only one who said anything about stuff getting torn up was EdJ and Dubs (where is he?). They were both referring to the 3M grip tape, which is on Loomis factory rods, and is actually a non-skid material for slippery floors and stairs.

Flocked grips are made from cheap Pre-formed cork which have epoxy poured on them and Nylon (felt, whatever) is electrostatically charged so it stands on end, and sticks into the epoxy perpendicular to the rod. If I'm not mistaken, Biscayne Rods in Florida was making them, Al G sells them, Mudhole sells them.

My opinion of them is the same as everyone else I've ever spoke to: Feel it before buying it, some people will love it, some will hate it. to each his own. Do not rely on somoene else's opinion when it comes to this material. I thought I would love it after hearing about it, but after feeling it, I found I did not like it. Some people feel it and can't believe they fished all these years without it.

Al Goldberg extended the butts on my two Conoflex Sorcerer rods. He installed cork tape from the seat to the butt end and added flocked foregrips. Love the combination. The flocked foregrips give me something substantial to hold when fighting a fish - are non-slip and easy on the hands.