Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nctroutman

blank finish

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

I am redoing a custom rod I use for large blues, stripers and drum. The rod is graphite and the finish for the blank was cracking and flaking off. I have cleaned it fairly well by scraping and very small amount of solvent. questions is what I should use to recoat the blank or does it need a coating. Any help wil be appreciated. Walt

the rod really doesnt "need" coating but it is advisable to have it. If I were going to do it, I would re-wrap the rod as you like. then using the flex coat thin epoxy, I would apply the thinnest first coat possible to the blank and ALL the guides. just make sure that when you dry the blank using a motor or whatever you use, leave enough space for a V-block to support the length of the rod. if you have to leave a spot on the blank for the v-block, its ok, just go back and do that spot later. a thin coat of epoxy is pretty easy as long as you have a drying motor.

it should work fine!!

bc

Sorry I disagree thread finish is not the best choice for using on a blank while at first it appears great over a relativley short time it often begins to crack and peel-it really has very poor adhesion to the blank- if you want to do it a better way-after the rod is stripped of all guides and wraps wipe it down with ISO or denatured alcohol use a 3M sanding pad same as mentioned below by Tom K along the entire blank then apply a finish I prefer Permaglos by Trondak-please note it contains some hot solvents and should not be allowed to come in contact with the skin best if used in a well ventilated area-it can be brushed on but much faster to wear non powdered latex gloves- pour some on a coffee filter and use the filter as a squege starting at the butt and move to the tip, a couple of applications will be needed but it will provide a long lasting finish and be much thinner then any thread finish

John B