Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianV

custom gaff

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I have seen gaff blanks in a couple of catalogs, Has anyone ever made one? How would you attach the head? Where would you get the head (have not seen them listed in the same catalog as the blanks)

Bri,

try Terminal Tackle in Kings park. they sell a gaff hook. (like 5-6 bucks I think) Looks to be like a 12/0 or 14/0 shark hook. Ive used it for two hand gaffs that I built.

What I did was (and I got he idea from guys here) was stuff paper towel about 4 inches down the hollow-ness of the blank. then pour 5 minute epoxy into the end and fill it to the brim. then stick the hook in, center it, and wait a few minutes for the epoxy to start to dry, then put the whole gaff in a vice standing stright up. let dry. the hook will sit in the center and youll have a great bond to work with.

my advice would be to do youre decorative wraps (if you plan on doing that prior to installing the gaff... I didnt and when I was wrapping it, I kept cutting my hand every time the hook circled.

my wife said If I was pavlov's dog, id have never been trained!! LOL

BC

I make Small stinger gaffs from Graphite golf club shafts use large Stainless big game fish hooks with the barb pressed down. I secure the hook with4-5 layers of epoxy soaked 50# power Pro (used)

to avoid the point cover it with a piece of plastic tube (Aquarium air line) while turning

If you want to add color make the last wrap thread of your choice