Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Master Mike

# of Guides?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Any ideas on how many guides to use on a 9' surf rod? 5+tip? 6+tip? and what sizes? 75 60 50 30 20 10 tip? I'll be using Stainless guides. If you guys have any suggestions let me know. Thanks Mike

If you're set on "stainless" guides (actually, the only ones I know of are Perfections and they're plated wire, not stainless) so be it, but Fuji hardaloys cost pennies more apiece and will outlast the wire guides.

I'd go with a 50 mm Fuji as your first guide and go down from there. I use a 50 mm Fuji on every rod now, and it doesn't choke the line coming off a reel the size of a VS 250 or a Penn 706.

I'll be following this closely.

I'm in the process of rebuilding a 9 footer. I've been told as few as five as many as six.

I'm thinking I'm gonna start with six and see how she handles.

I would recommend the Fuji 40HH,30H,20M and 16L in Hardaloy with an SIC tip. If you want to go five guides then add a 25H.

The 40HH should be mounted approximately 34-36 inches from the face of the spool as a starting point. You will need to test cast before adjusting the spacing to the guide's final position.

Mike--as others have said also, the idea of sizing the gathering guide to the reel spool is "old school". Correct placement of a 50 mm BSVG or a 40HH will not choke the line coming off the spool, and in fact will act to reduce line slap between the gathering and second guide.

Plus, today's wire guides are absolute crap. Mildrum went under, and the Perfections don't last. They pit, the smaller ones near the tip groove easily, and the welds holding the ring to the frame don't hold up. I would never again use them on a rod.