Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Broadbill

Rewrapping a Lami spinner as a conventional. Should I?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I've got a 10-15-year-old 11-foot honey Lami spinner, semi-custom wrapped by Bill Pew on Nantucket. Throws up to 4 ounces. I'd like to get back to conventional, and for a variety of sentimental and non-economic reasons, I'm thinking of having this rod re-wrapped as a conventional. So . . .

Is is practical to strip off the guides and hypalon (yeah, no cork, another reason for the conversion), and reverse the spline and make it into a conventional?

If yes, what's the Abu or other conventional that that best marries up? I fish open outer Cape and Nantucket beaches with wood, metal, plastic and rubber up to 3 ounces. ThumbBurner was very helpful with advice and it sounds like a 6501 or a 7001 with a levelwind would be right for a guy who hasn't fished conventional in 30 years.

Next-to-last question: Who are some of the rod-builders in Massachusetts and Rhode Island who would understand the sentiment and do a clean, unfussy rewrap?

Last question: Is this a stupid idea? Should I start new with a contemporary blank or a factory finished rod to make sure I can to commit to conventional?

Thanks in advance for the wisdom of the board.

I see no reason not to convert the rod.

I have a few rods from Bill that I have re-built. He made a good simple rod that worked well.

Sounds like you have a handle on the reel.

As for builders in your area? I don't live there any more, but there are plenty of talented folks that can do far more than you need or seem to want. You should get a response soon, so good luch and let's see some before and after photos if you have time.

Thanks!!

BroadBill...

It can be done, but removing epoxy from older glass blanks and re-wrapping isnt easy. In fact, most builders would charge you more to do that than build you a new one. Especially with glass.. now-a-days, you can get that blank for around $85 new if you look around. nice and clean and easy to re-wrap, no mess, etc... For a more expensive graphite blank, re-building might be more worth it. plus graphite is easier to strip and re-finish (and look good!!).

also an abu 7000 with 20 lb mono or 30 lb fireline would be a perfect match!

BC

I suppose, if your reasons are "sentimental" enough and "non-economic" enough, then why not strip it and convert it? But otherwise, it doesn't make much sense.

I second everything big country said. specially if you are unsure if you are gonna like or stick with conventional. keep this spinner as it is and start from scratch. i have done that for myself (glass is hard than graphite - for me it is easier to mess up the glass blank) but i was just doing a messy job not looking to have it come out looking great. if you have a builder that is willing to out his name on the work he is going to (or should) want it to look good and that will probably cost you. like big stated its not that expensive a blank, and theres is nothing wrong with haviing a matching set.