Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bob S.

Rod Guide Question

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

On a 10'lami blank GS1321M used a size 40 SIC stripper guide. I am now wondering if I should replace it with a 50 even though they don't make size 50'S in SIC's.The guide is 39" from the reel, a VS 250. Feedback greatly appreciated.

Based on my limited experience with that reel (I've got 10 foot or bigger rods W/ 704 / 6 reels) I'd say if your using a superline (fireline or braid) leave the rod as it is.

If your throwing mono, I'd test-drive the rod with a bigger guide.

Go to a ball field, test cast the rod, cut the stripper off, tape on a bigger one, test it again.

My guess would be that you'll see little if any difference with a superline, and maybe some with the mono.

BTW welcome to SOL HappyWave.gif

You could go to a 40HH which is a very high 40. generally on a 10 foot surf rod I use the n40HH or a 50 for the gathering guide on a spinner. They make the 40 HH in SiC. Its about $28.

Bob,

I've go the hi-frame 40hh on my GSB1321M with a VS250 and love it. I've also had a 706 on the stick with mono and it casts very well. Recheck you're post, the GSB1321M is an 11' foot blank the 10 footers start with GSB120.

Rule of thumb for me when building for guys using braid, my 10 ft blanks, I use a bsvlg 40,30,25,20,16,12 tip. for 11 ft blanks, I use bsvlg 50,40,30,20,16,12 tip.

Although, I think I am going to start using the new Pac Bay Tich guides as a stripper and 1st guide. I did this on a 10 ft that I built for myself. I love it, adds great balance to the rod, and the rod casts great. I used 40 tich, 30 tich, 25 bsvlg, 20 bsvlg, 16 bsvlg, 12 tip.

BC

i'M IN THE PROCESS OF BLDING A gsb1201l BLANK . I'm using a 50mm. Stripper guide. I will be using different reels with mono and braid. Mithchell 302 mono, Remer 401 mono Nautil6500 braid. Guides 50,40,30,25,20,&16 tip Tip 8-8.5" from tip and with test casting and running line thru guides to tip {attached to tip ctr] Putting the 50 37-39" from spool face of farthest reaching reel. Stress test looks fine with other guide sizes in 1.5" increments per guide. I also made an 11'pac Bay blank with 40HH stripper 66' from tip,38" from spool, cast mono & braid fine. Hope this helps. Bill D CT.SURFCASTERS