Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JayC

Chaos Rods?

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

What can you tell me about "Chaos Rods"?

I saw them at the NJ Outdoorsmans Show a couple weeks ago. I'm looking for a 7' - 7.5 spinning pole I can use on the boat for casting jigs and plugs. I was going to buy a Lami, but I came across these Chaos rods, and the Salesman at the show told me their built on Lami blanks, and come with a lifetime guarantee from Chaos. They've been in business about 15 years I think, and based in Florida. He had a 6' spiner that I liked, if it was only in the 7 - 7.5 length. He said no problem, they could make me one for the same price, $109. I thought it was a good deal for a Lami, since the ones I've seen were around $180 in the store. Any help is apreciated. Seemed like a well made pole.

Jay

Jay,

I cannot comment on Chaos rods and whether they are built on Lami blanks.

I have seen Chaos rods at the shows over the last few years. With any product you get what you pay for. If the rod meets your needs for the price and has a warranty then go for it.

Al

first I have a little quirk companies who advertise mass produced rods as custom drives me a little bonkers. Chaos headquarted in Lake Worth Fl. They have a different type of distribution system which means they do most of their advertising at shows and from their web site rather then thru local distributors-cuts out the middle man-

Many blank building companies make blanks for sale to manufacturers aside from themselves these blanks are in general made to the speks of the rod building company and may not be even similar to the normal line of blanks- I think a little investigation will show that the Chaos blanks are made by a numer of diffent companies - gator glass for one,this by itself is not a bad thing, but to claim our blanks are Companie Xs it implies that they are company X blanks which they are not.Some of the Chaos blanks (gator glass) are unsanded the ridges left on the blank are quite evident, now you either invest in a high end sanding machine to remove them or you simply coat the entire blank with thread finish- gives a beautiful gloss coat that appears very attractive- add some metallic gold thread looks even better unfortunatley this finish is not made for blanks and in a relativley short time it begins to crack and peel. Don't misunderstand me hundreds are sold and used weekly and a great many people like them, I just wish they would sell them for what they are a good mass produced rod for the most part

John

While coating the blank full length with thread finish may not be the best of ideas, it should be noted that there is certainly nothing at all wrong with unsanded blanks. Lami made various models available in unsanded versions for many years - called them a "spiral finish" as I recall - and many very serious builders and fishermen favored and sought out those versions, believing them to be superior in consistency and strength. Sanding equipment and techniques have no doubt improved from "back in the day" when there was some fear of operator irregularites, but the spiral pattern is nothin' but the imprint of the cello-wrap on the blanks and they still look good to me, just as they are. Got a white spiral Lami 3m eleven footer on the bench right now, matter of fact smile.gif

Bill I agree completley nothing wrong with the spirals-ugly stick leaves them, my problem is the customer doesn't realize that some of the blanks are spiraled and covered with finish- I can think of three or four manufacturers in Florida who also cover the entire blank- have many request to please re epoxy the rods-they should leave the spirals exposed but then they will not look as nice to the general public, as I said hundreds are sold and enjoyed but the coating can lead to big problems later.

John

Sorry Al, I couldn't pass on this one. I've seen this company at many shows and I cannot tolerate them calling their rods custom. Especially when they have 100 identical sticks on display. I build sticks and I don't consider my rods custom yet. I have not attained the skill level that affords me the right to call them custom. The word "Custom" is used and abused too often.

Let's analyze this a little. A blank cost X amount, the components cost X amount, and the labor cost x amount. If you add it all up the price doesn't make sense. Why is the warranty from Chaos and not the blank manufacturer? Sure blank manufacturers make blanks for private labels. Are they sold that cheap? I don't care if they buy a million a year, it still cost money. Well, maybe they have a cheap labor force. What does that say for the quality? Price is only an issue when there is a lack in quality and service.

A custom builder spends alot of time with a customer to determine his/her needs. Sometimes, what people want and what they need are quite different. The experience and their time are what you are paying for. Many times people buy according to what they hear or by the manufacturing specs. Often these people have buyers regret. I know many people who build rods but not many Real Custom Rodcrafters. We are lucky to have a Master Custom Rodcrafter moderating this board. Thanks for letting me vent.

Hi Rockin,

I completely agree with what you are saying. However, each person needs to justify for himself the cost/benefit/value relationship of any product they purchase.

There are many excellent production rods on the market that I would recommend as fishing tools. Cosmetics has no value to me on a production rod. I go strictly for functionality.