Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JoeB

Happiness can come in a brown box

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Just got my box of goodies in the mail (guides, reel seats, thread, hand wrapper, drying motor)...I feel like a kid again at Christmas time. It's amazing how addicting and passionate this sport becomes. First it was learing to cast a fly rod then tying my own flies. Now, wrapping my own rods. All good stuff.

Already have my first three planned out: (2) 7' rods for the kayak (spin and conv) and my precious...GSB1201L conventional. Once the blanks are in my hands, sleep (and work, of course wink.gif ) be damned!

A big thanks to all those that were patient enough to answer (and re-answer) newbie questions.

Good luck Joe. I suggest you take it slow and do it as perfect as you can. Some people are in a hurry to finish one but compared to how long you may use it , even doubling the building time is insignificant in the long run.

Joe,

I know how you feel - I'm waiting for my stuff to come in the mail too. My first blank is an Allstar 1265/2 with a trigger seat...throw on an ABU 6500 CS Mag all tweaked out and I should be ready to sling metal with the best of em'..

Thanks to all for answering all my newbie questions. Lots of knowledge here...

Sandcrab

Sandcrab,

I've built several 1265's in the configuration you spoke of. Outstanding rod reel combo.

If you haven't decided on a reel yey you may want to look at the Abu 6500 sports mag. With the reel tuned and the 1265 you should throw metal out of sight.

Good luck...................