Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
outeast

Rod for the race and gut

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Dear Al, Could you recommend a blank and guides to 3-way eels and buctails for areas such as the gut and race? I'd be fishing from a 19' wac, using braids [50#],glass or graphite blank [whatever you rec.], guides prefer hardaloys , need to handle up to 20 oz. lead during those moon tides, and I would like to use an abu 7000. Thanks, gary

Gary,

You are fishing in my home waters. I pulls lots of big bass out of the Gut, Sluiceway and The Race.

Here is a short list of blanks to consider, since I have fished them all. They are all composites. I have included the approximate retail price:

- Loomis Hybrid HB66H - $175

- Lamiglas CGBT841M - $90. Trim 2 inches from the tip and 4 inches from the butt.

- Calstar GF700M - $85 Trim 2 inches from the tip and 4 inches from the butt.

For guides use Fuji BHNLG's: 20, 16, 12, 12, 10, 10, 10 plus a UST tip.

Al

Gary,

I thought I knew rod building until I fished that area more than 25 years ago. What an education I had trying to build the right rod to fish that area. I could not believe the tidal flow around those islands.

Al

Dear Al, Hopefully my learning curve will be shorter following your advice. That area is going to be my home waters as I am relocating there, hopefully this fall. Thanks again, gary

Gary,

Feel free to tap into my knowledge base. There is some unbelieveable fishing around those islands. Stripers. bluefish, blackfish, porgies, bonita, false albacore, fluke and flounder. It's a real smorgesboard. When things slow up it's a quick run across to Montauk.

Al

Al, I've got one of each blank on the way. I assume my 1st guide is about 4 inches from the tip then increase an inch each additional guide. Using the 7 guides you recommend doesn't that put the stripper guide too close to the reel? Thanks for clearing this up for me. Gary

Gary,

Place the stripper guide 22 inches from the center of the seat and then shorten up the distances between the remaining guides.

Have fun wrappng.

Al