Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rodder

Guide prep

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

On my surf rods I use the high frame Fugi. I file and dress the foot ramps,however regardless how I finish them before wrapping and after a hard year of fishing, rod tweaking etc. I find rust spots showing through the wraps. I fully seal the wraps before applying polymer with up to three coats. Tried painting the feet prior to wrapping. didnt work. Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks. Al Tennant

After grinding the guide feet, try coating the polished part with a thin coat of FC (or in your case, polymer), let dry, then start wrapping. I have rods that're more than 3-year old and still I still can see the shining part of the guide feet. There're so many possible reasons for the rusting. Are they on all the guides of one rod, some of the guides of one rods, or are they on all the guides of all the rods? frown.gif

Hungz Yes that sounds like a good idea of coating the shiney part with poly before wraping. This is only occuring on some guides, which I guess i'm not getting the polymer into the tunnels. Will try your suggestion and do a better job of coating. Thanks Al

i read somewhere that you can color the area that was filed to the bare metal with a sharpie style permanent marker. this should protect the bare metal. i'm not sure if it works or not, but i did it this weekend to the new plugging rod that i just finished last night. i'll let you know in a year if it's worked or not. tongue.gif