Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stlRivercat

need surfrod-building source

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

All the online rodbuilding supply catalogs Ive been visiting dont stock much surf-rod components - specifically guides and things with I.D. of 1" or more.

Can readers please post their URLs to SurfRod-building component retailers?

You should find lots of stuff on both the Mudhole and Custom Tackle. I would also make sure I looked at Al's articles on rod building. He covers the basics of how to lay out the rod well. I just finished my first and will probably start my second surf rod this summer.

You're probably not going to find 1" ID cork rings. What yo do need, is 1 1/2 ID rings and you need to bore or ream the ID to the size you need. I usually stick teh 1 1/2OD tinds into the chuck on my lathe, and put a drill bit of appropriate size in my tailstock - and bore them like that.

Anything larger than 1 1/4 I'd have to do by hand with a reamer (basically cutting abrasive glued to a spare blank). You can also do some thing-in-a-ma-jig with taping sandpaper on teh plank, and reaming right on teh blank. I haven't done that so I can't tell you exactly.

There are quite a number of our dealers carrying our American Tackle surf supplies. We've got large ID EVA grips, The short large ID Surf Grips like St Croix and Lami use with cork tape which we also carry. We now have 50 mm guides in a miryid of colors including TiCH frames in silver, blue, gold and the outrageous Holographic guides due in next week. We also have our Patriot blanks made by All Star for us in 7' to 11'9" in various actions. We also have our Amtak surf blanks in E-Glass and our exciting new line of Hybrids in E-Glass and Graphite up to 9' 1 pc. Just check out any of our dealers at our web site. Regards, Joe Meehan American Tackle Co.